This is confusing

I have just read about noise sensitivity, which is often a part of ASC for many. A lot of people with noise sensitivity wear ear defenders or ear buds  to reduce the sounds. On the NHS website it’s says not to wear ear muffs or ear plugs.  Instead it says to expose yourself to the sounds. This contradicts everything that’s been known to help with noise sensitivity.  

Parents
  • On the NHS website it’s says not to wear ear muffs or ear plugs.  Instead it says to expose yourself to the sounds.

In the context of autism? 

Please supply a link to the article. 

Thanks.

• The NHS website suggests that exposure therapy is helpful however for us autistics that is far from the truth. Exposure to such sounds or any other distressing stimuli is likely to cause more harm and potentially lead to sensory trauma.

I doubt that this information was written with autistic people in mind as it doesn’t acknowledge the fact that we are by definition neurodivergent and therefore have a different sensory experience to non autistic people anyway.

• The NHS website suggests that exposure therapy is helpful however for us autistics that is far from the truth. Exposure to such sounds or any other distressing stimuli is likely to cause more harm and potentially lead to sensory trauma.

I doubt that this information was written with autistic people in mind as it doesn’t acknowledge the fact that we are by definition neurodivergent and therefore have a different sensory experience to non autistic people anyway.

Children