Britain is screwing itself over.

I need to write, my brain is bursting with ideas and I need an outlet for them. I am not a historian, but I think britain is screwing itself, how many old people want to go back to the old ways, long for the old ways of doing things. The problem with that is the philosophy was all about fitting in now there is a problem with this. Neurodivergence. Human brains are fundamentally different. So you force everybody to fit in then you can't let people access their full strengths. Especially neurodivergent people, how much of their energy has been wasted because they were using that energy to fit in instead of finding ways to use their brain to their own advantage.  Neurotypical people with their neurotypicalness have more flexible brains which means they can mimic what neurodivergent people have inherently and achieve great success by also having social skills, the problem with this is I think it was working at reduced efficiency. Neurodivergent brains are designed for a purpose whereas neurotypical people have to train themselves to do what neurodivergent brains can already do. What if we focused instead on improving the advantages of neurodivergent brains, What heights can we achieve then. There is a fundamental problem with making everyone fit in and not taking risks, you disadvantage people with ADHD, they are explorers natural risk takers, they are 300% more likely to start their own business, it is not a genetic flaw, it is a genetic necessity in order to improve we need to be willing to take risks, but if these people are forced out then that means that less people are willing to take risks which means eventually we decline because we always take the safe option. So in order to change this we need to actually improve the awareness and diagnosing around neuroivergence, because it is not just an individual issue it is a societal issue, in the case of ADHD medication can have a dramatic effect on peoples lives, but it needs to be combined with appropriate help in order to let them perform at their best. I think I read Richard Branson has ADHD, how many people with ADHD are locked up because they don't have a diagnosis or can't access treatment when instead their minds can be used to improve society as a whole with the correct measures. The things about old people is what happened in the past led us to where we are, not willing to take risks means we didn't take advantage of the opportunities we had because we took the short-term safe option, because there were no risk takers as they were all driven out, they caused our decline and they are now blaming it on us because they f*cked up, with their neurotypical idiocy. Alan Turing, helped with cracking the german navy's enigma code, and yet he had to spend a decent portion of his energy hiding his homosexuality. (Not neurodivergence but the same principle) What lunacy, what could have happened if he was able to just be him and he was allowed to perform at his best. How much more advanced could we be as a society, this is why we are declining because we aren't allowing people to take advantage of their full strengths which is utter lunacy. Another problem is dyslexia and dyscalclia, if we build a society around information and computers, then that means we must be limiting who can access this information. Their brains must be amazing at certain things, I think for dyslexia it is visual spatial stuff and yet they are not able to access their strength because our society is built around exams and test taking and writing, so we can't access their abilities because they are being driven out. This is utter idiocy. The number one priority of this country should be neurodivergence, what could happen if everybody was allowed to perform at their fullest instead of being handicapped and letting neurotypical who can fit in take advantage of this. Neurotypical make complicated systems to screw over neurodivergent people but they are actually screwing over themselves because neurodivergent people are necessary, and then they have the bl**dy gall to blame their failings on neurodivergent people. Screw them. They are responsible for their failings and it is because of the underappreciated neurodivergent that probably made the wheels keep turning with any thanks that we actually got anywhere, with their incompetence running the country. How many of the things that actually made britain great was because of neurodivergent people, whose ideas were stolen by neurotypical people. Rant over.

Parents
  • Yup, well 13 straight years of hard-right Tory rule is enough to drive anyone mad. 13 years of austerity, corruption, incompetence, and failed leadership. When you have a bunch of clueless elitists running everything this is the result.

how many old people want to go back to the old ways, long for the old ways of doing things

It's called the Dunning-Kruger effect. Old people of any generation always whine it was "better in the good old days", they're just feeling nostalgic. I've read an essay by an old monk from 500 years ago who was complaining the younger generation meant society was doomed. It's a cyclical process mouthed off about by the vacuous

Physics has shown us society will always evolve and change, for better or worse, but the Back In My Day brigade don't seem capable of comprehending this. The inherent frustration in the inevitability things can't be the way they used to be leads to their constant complaining. 

• 13 years of austerity, corruption, incompetence, and failed leadership

Ah, but never fear! Our Glorious Leader has just announced his latest vision- 'Control' benefits and public spending to fund a tax cut for hard-working people! 

So, no investment then. And the poorest and most vulnerable in society? Forced into work or ... well, whatever. 

They assume the charity sector will save them. 

With this they hope to win the next GE. 

• It is not just the last 13 years, it is fundamentally the problem with our governmental system that has led to this, the news always goes on about small things like luke littler, but there are big things going on that require time to digest but the internet has fucked peoples attention spans, so they can't spend the time learning about how f*cked we are. Sorry about this, this comment is not for you I didn't know who else to reply to. Also tax cuts are fucking idiotic, they should be investing in the infrastructure of this country, through schools, and so on, then companies will want to work here and will invest in the people of this country, but it takes a lot of money and a risk, and the government can't do that because the next one will just change it. They aren't willing to take a long-term bet to benefit this country instead of their party. They might still win, because they won brexit, which is fundamentally because Britain is taught around the idea our past was great, the great british empire, nationalism and superiority and we don't look towards the future for what next, so caught up in the past. This is also the fault of universities for being so caught up in their ivory towers that none of the stuff they actually do makes a difference to this world until a 100 years down the line, because they believe it is for the privileged, they lock information away, there is a divide between their research and what could actually help this country, I understand that is a bit silly complaining about their long termness but I feel like there is a better use for their minds, solving problems that are occuring right now then ones hundred years down the line, where it probably won't even be found it will just be rediscovered when needed.

• Well, maybe you weren't at the coalface.

And maybe I was...

• The banter and insults to which older generations refer, was not actually entirely an expression of hatred, (which I know many of you find too hard a concept to grasp) but more a method of establlishing boundaries, and defining exactly the areas where we agree to differ. And it worked...We did all learn to get along in the sixties and seventies

Well, maybe you weren't at the coalface.

Being subjected to extreme antigay prejudice, sexism/mysogyny and racism unfiltered isn't much fun (not the racism for me but I had to listen to it in my own home).

My father's own racism was entirely an expression of hatred, I can assure you.

Also, in the 1960s in the UK it was still ILLEGAL to be in a homosexual relationship.

The riots 1981 in Brixton were a culmination of decades of racial discrimination.

And, we've discussed the role of women in all this before here:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/women-and-girls/32011/soft-skills-as-a-female-autistic/296910#296910

So I won't repeat myself.

• At least you are thinking. (And sharing your thoughts) 

That monologue you posted from you tube was great! 

I'm a boomer, a sour generation of "punks" who are still complaining about "Authority" whilst burning aimlessly through all that the "greatest generation had produced.

Because of Upbringing and Autism, I'm not very good at fitting in, which has given me a wider perspective with more opportunity to examine things and make up my own mind than many people get. I was just "lucky" I guess.

When I see people complaining about left / right politics and promoting one side as somehow "better than the other" I just see "children babbling amongst themselves". 

I set myself the task of sorting it all out back in 2001 and sat down to work out a truly fair and equitable way of running British society, one that would perhaps save is from the doom I've been observing creeping up on us since the 1980's. 

I am by means of natural inclination and ability somewhat gifted at "fixing fhings" and I just wondered how far I could get with figuring out how society really works, and how to fix it so that more people got to lead nice and productive lives (like I was at the time)..

Wow, did I ever bite off more than I could chew....

A little over 22 years later I can tell you what is wrong, and how to fix it.

As ever, since the eighties when I first started seeing the cracks and pointing out the flaws in what was then public and social "policies" I'd end up embroiled in pointless argument and I'm not sure exactly whether I am right or whether there's yet another layer to the problem which would make my suggested solution only a partial fix at best.

I'm also trialling the way of life that results from the principle I'd be pushing, if I were so inclined, and although my life does seem better than it was, overall, I'm not in a "rush to publish". 

One thing no-one seems to understand is that having true "diversity" means co-existing with people who are unpleasantly different from yourselves.

The banter and insults to which older generations refer, was not actually entirely an expression of hatred, (which I know many of you find too hard a concept to grasp) but more a method of establlishing boundaries, and defining exactly the areas where we agree to differ. And it worked...We did all learn to get along in the sixties and seventies and by the nineteen eighties we were ready to discard our Christian framework and embrace the new "Multicultural" order of the nineties.

Except it was not "new" at all...

• Oh but it is, it's just done differently nowadays.

• All because Guardian Readers are now Kingmakers.

Nonsense. 

If you think Guardian readers have any influence, you haven't been paying attention. 

• Also that isn't banter, that is just hurtful comments, it might have been ok then but I think it is a good thing it is not ok now, there are better uses of your time then just being mean.

Having grown up when offensiveness was taken for granted (1970s) I agree.

• Well I’m thinking of you and I hope it gets better for you 

• I know, I am angry and not thinking properly which is why I intended to hibernate but that isn't going so well.

• I think you’re putting a lot of words on Desmond’s mouth here and in the process doing what you say he shouldn’t - telling people how they should be.

• You can say all of those things if you want. Has someone been prosecuted for them?

I think us men can find enjoyment in many other things. 

• I don't like this one bit, the things that men enjoy have usually come at the cost of others, always at the cost of others and now they have a voice you are getting angry at them, how many attrocities have been commited by men, that we haven't heard about because people had no voice to speak up, this is not ok. People should be allowed to speak up and say what they want, but those words shouldn't be used to hurt other people. If you enjoyment is through hurting other people that is not ok, it might have been ok in the past, but I don't think it should be now. Why do you have to hold an image in your head of what men should enjoy, men should be this way, women should behave this way, it hurts people, you may not see it but they are suffering. Trying to hold themselves to this idea, that is not ok to be just them, when they are perfectly fine as they are. (I loved key he quans character (don't know the exact spelling sorry) in everything everywhere all at once, he wasn't manly and I liked that, he was goofy, I want to be like that) Society should be more accepting, it is not just the governments fault, yes it has flaws, but so does everything else, the purpose of a government should be to hold businesses and people to account for a collective good and business also have their role in society it is not an either or, or effort should be on improving both so they can hold each other to account instead of campaiging to abolish one. Improvements take time and effort and just shouting get rid of it isn't helping the problem we have got to understand the flaws, which takes times, be willing to be open about mistakes, and say I can do better, I can be better. I love this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk . People should be allowed to be themselves, and accepted for their differences, we may not agree on certain things, which is a good thing there will be no improvement if there wasn't friction that causes things to change, But missing being able to hurt other people isn't a good thing, pining for the good ol days, was usually only good for you and there were a lot of people that were hurt that were silenced in those days. It is ok to make mistakes but it is not ok to stay stuck, you have got to be flexible willing to change. It is isolating being stuck in your own head wishing things were different when if you just opened your eyes, you could see maybe this isn't perfect, but I can be happy with what I have, it is not all about me, it is also about society as a whole, and everybodies voice should be heard not just the loudest, or the the group with the largest number of people, but everybodies, that should be the point of our society, when everybody is truly equal, they can be free to be them at a small cost of not being able to hurt others.

Also that isn't banter, that is just hurtful comments, it might have been ok then but I think it is a good thing it is not ok now, there are better uses of your time then just being mean.

Someone asked Jessica McCabe, the creator of How to ADHD, this "Is there room among the woke, for those still waking" I loved that, it is not about being perfect, making mistakes is ok, as long as you learn from them.

• We can longer call Chelsea Fans Rent Boys, of Liverpool Fans Thieving Scousers, without Prosecution

That must be devastating for you.

It's such a pity that being offensive isn't mandated.

Reply Children