Self service tills.

I love self service tills in shops.  They are much more hygienic than manned tills.  The only unhygienic part is pressing the button asking how I'm making the payment and if I want a receipt.

On manned tills the operator touches every item of food I buy and on a recent visit I saw an operator sneeze all over herself and her hands and food items.

Now some shops are going into reverse, Booths are ripping out their self service tills, and my local branch of Iceland has gone back to manned tills only.

All opinions are welcome.

Parents
  •  I like being able to have a short interaction with a human at a till or pay point, even if it is just an exchange of smiles and a P & T Y.  As a predominantly "alone" human, I find these short and purposeful interactions with other humans quite important.  It is important for me (at times) to be forced to interact with others, and these small and short interactions are being sliced away from my world.

Moreover, self-service tills hate me.  The majority of times that I use them, something goes wrong.....and not just once....repeatedly.  They are not good for my soul nor my blood pressure!  I'm not a fan of the ever increasing computerisation of my interactions with the world.

•  The majority of times that I use them, something goes wrong.

Yup. Over the years since they've been introduced, the machines haven't exactly become more reliable either. They constantly break on you, like a 70% hit rate and it gets very annoying.

Reply Children
  • Me at Tesco 2 days ago with a Self Service till which had no 'cancel' or 'go back' button.

Waiting on Live attendant for bringing my own shopping bag

Waiting on Live attendant for item which isn't working 

Waiting on Live attendant for unknown change in weight

Waiting on Live attendant to find other Live attendant for bananas which ONLY checkout by weight and aren't weighing today. Still waiting. Minutes pass and since I started maybe 30+ individuals have swept through the live attendant queues and out the door. Abandon bananas at self service and leave.