"Autistic" things you do.

What "autistic" things do you find yourselves doing? I do a lot of different things which I know a neurotypical wouldn't think twice about.

One of them is making sure everything in my house is straight, so the chairs, my books and DVDs on the shelf, pictures hanging on the wall and plenty more than that.

Recently I was doing up an MG Maestro and had noticed the offside headlight wasn't seated properly and was facing a little to the side. This bothered me so much, playing at the back of my mind until finally I went out and straightened it because I couldn't cope with it not being right.

I feel like I was actually approaching a meltdown, that's how much this sort of thing bothers me.

Am I alone in being this way?

• When I lived with my grandmother in Bradford I would hang my laundry out on the line in the backyard. It seemed fine to me but she'd always go out afterwards and re-peg it all. When I asked her about it she'd say 'I couldn't stand seeing it like that, what would the neighbours says?!'. I think they'd actually say (or think) very little/nothing about it, in reality Upside down

• I do this. In the kitchen I pace across the room, touch the fridge and then back again. I repeat this several times. I've noted how it also helps clear my own mind. It must bring me a small comfort.

• Songs can bring back certain memories for me and sometimes smells. 

• At the second assessment it was suggested this might be a repetitive behaviour rather than a ritual linked with OCD. Autism, OCD and anxiety mimic each other in a way. It can be difficult to understand what's causing what at times.

• Every time I see your name an Earth Wind and Fire song comes into my head.

Not sure if it's autism related but there's a song database in my head that is constantly triggered:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV8ew_stNs&pp=ygUbZmFudGFzeSBlYXJ0aCB3aW5kIGFuZCBmaXJl

• I do a lot of pacing (stimming) in my home. Back and forth, back and forth in the same pattern. I can do that for hours, it just helps me think and clear my head. If anyone could see me they'd probably think I'm nuts hah.

• I do the same and if I notice something out of place then it really bugs me like an itch until I correct it.

OCD is often found in autistic people according to studies. Not everyone has it but a large percentage of the autistic population tends to, and it's the same with anxiety disorders as well.

Keeping things straight and neat could also be a repetitive behaviour you do, rather than feeling you have to do it you just like the routine and repetitivity. This is something I do myself and have done since early childhood.

• I have both. During my assessment it was noted how I kept everything straight and neat, though I did wonder if I had been misdiagnosed with autism but upon being reassessed in 2018 they determined I do have autism, again. From what I've read and been told by professionals autism and OCD go hand-in-hand, appears you can't really have one without the other for many.

• I would perceive what you are describing as having a basis of OCD rather than autism Thinking