Why do I always seem to do this? D'oh

Before I continue, the title of this discussion was a rhetorical question.

There used to be a time when I would load my washing machine, turn it on, select the required programme, and then leave it to do its thing until it had finished.

As I don't always see eye-to-eye with Mother Nature, I am choosing to point the finger of blame in her direction for the following, which I have decided is a result of the post-menopausal forgetfulness that she (Mother Nature) decided was something I needed, in addition to a whole catalogue of other post-menopausal 'gifts'. 

It seems to have become a habit of mine that when there is dirty laundry I want washing and dried as soon as possible, I will remember to load the washing machine, and remember to add the laundry detergent, but then forget to turn the washing machine on, select the programme, etc. This is often because I've become distracted, or am too tired for my brain to be capable of functioning as well as I would like.

My washing machine has an annoying alarm that sounds when the wash cycle has finished. If I don't turn off the washing machine, the alarm will continue to go off intermittently. As a result, even if I am not in a position to remove the laundry from the washing machine, I will turn the washing machine off.

At some point yesterday, I had done my usual trick of loading the washing machine and forgetting to turn it on. Several hours later I had then gone to retrieve the laundry, only to be greeted by a rather unpleasant whiff. I felt sure I had turned the washing machine on a few hours previously, AND that I had heard the sound of it progressing through the various cycles, but obviously I hadn't.

It is now after 1 am, and I am willing the next 50 minutes to speed up, so that I can then transfer the laundry that is currently being washed to my tumble dryer, and get it dried a.s.a.p,

Do any of you have similar tales regarding forgetfulness, which you would like to share?

• I don't forget to drink coffee... 

Except today. Eventually I put it in the microwave to heat up. Unfortunately, I instantly forgot about that and ten minutes later started looking for my mug so that I could make coffee...

At lunchtime I decided to heat soup and opened the microwave - I was very suprised to find my mug in there, full of cold coffee... Grimacing

I'm not having the best day... 

• Lol XD 

That is one of the most funny things I've ever read. Thanks for the laugh of the day! ;)

• This reminds me of the days when my dad would point his key fob at his car to unlock it, and realise that in addition to unlocking his own car, the key fob had also unlocked several other cars parked close by.

• Twice, I tried to unlock the wrong car; whenever I had a 2012 Citroen Hatchback.

• This has made me chuckle. Although I know it's not uncommon for people to forget where they have parked their car, this is the first time I've heard of someone temporarily forgetting that they own a car. Laughing

When I was a baby, my mother returned home from a shopping trip with a niggling feeling that she had forgotten something. It turned out to be ME. In those days, it wasn't uncommon for mothers to leave babies in their prams outside shops. Fortunately, I was still in my pram outside the shop when my mother raced back to retrieve me.

• I worked at ASDA a decade ago, I was on the honey section when something tugged on my pocket, I looked down to see a tiny pixie-like five year old girl looking up at me.

It turned out the mother had brought her shopping and walked home, apparently she did it a lot, when the security guard called the mother’s landline. she picked it up. She’d walked all the way home, whilst her child, was summoning up the courage to pull on my pocket..Cry

• That’s not the half of it, I tell myself to remember things, only to forget a few seconds later.. I surprise myself..Sweat smile

• When I was driving I decided to drive to the shop, got so engrossed with my shopping that I forgot the car and walked home. It was almost the end of the afternoon when my mum asked where the car was. This really happened and even now I'm not really sure how I forgot it. It was bright yellow as well. Called it the lemon and I remember my dad now sadly gone saying how did you forget the lemon you lemon! Lol Laughing

• I'm not quite sure how to respond to that, but just to say that when you forget those things, I hope it isn't all on the same day. Wink

• Yes, leaving laundry on the washing line for days is another one of my party tricks. Laughing

If it happens to be raining when I then remember the laundry is still on the washing line, I'll just leave it there rather than bringing it in to dry. The cycle continues because it is then a case of out of sight, out of mind. In some cases, the laundry has been left on the washing line for weeks. 

• This makes me feel so much better, as there have been many occasions when I have been guilty of that same thing, and it has then been a matter of washing the already-washed laundry again to get rid of the damp musty smell. 

If it's not that, then it is forgetting I have already added the laundry detergent, resulting in me needing to put the machine on for one or more rinses afterwards. Laughing

• I forget everything too!

I forget that I'm wearing my glasses and look for them. I forget that I can't see without them...

I forget where my keys are - usually in the door...

I forget where my phone is. Generally speaking, I have no idea... 

I forget what day it is - all the time..

I don't forget to drink coffee... 

• You should make a list of things you're likely to forget.

Just try not to forget the list ^^

• Aw I'm so sorry to hear that.

That must be really difficult for you. I don't go out much, partly from exhaustion but also because of anxiety but it doesn't often make me housebound like that.

• I literally forget everything:

I forgot where I’ve put things that I currently have in my hand.

I forgot to vacuum when I have placed it in front of the TV that I am watching (it becomes part of the acceptable environment),

I forget things that are burning on the stove when I can smell it.

I forget my own name.

I forget that I was waiting for the green-man at the traffic lights.

I forget to pay shopkeepers that i am currently conversing with.

I forget that I haven’t got my glasses on even though I cant see without them.

I even forget, forgive me in advance, to wizz while im standing at the WC..Sweat smile

I forget that im stroking my dog, so he promptly reminds me, as he does when I forget that im supposed to give him half of my toast.

I forget to take out the rubbish, even though I obstruct the front door with it.

I cannot tell you how many coffees i have forgotten to drink..

(i never forget my bus or train stop, even if I fall/nearly-fall asleep..)

• Yes I've done that too. Although it tends to be when my agoraphobia gets the better of me, rather than forgetting about it. I may have hung the washing out, something happens which causes a massive spike in my anxiety, then I can't go outside to bring it in again for several days or even weeks.

• Have you had it where you leave it on the washing line for a few days? 

That happens to me on a regular basis ^^

• I've had instances where I've set the washing machine to run overnight but by the next morning I'd completely forgotten about it. The (clean) damp washing was left in the machine for several days Sweat smile

• I am great with my washing machine. However, today, I went out to get a haircut and shave. Then it rained, while I was away.