Birdwatching in the garden

Sharing this on here because I know there are other birdwatchers around, just had a great spotted woodpecker on my bird feeders in my back garden! Had my binoculars next to me so got a good look Heart eyes

Parents
  • I had a flock of blackbirds (about four and twenty I think) descend onto my garden the other evening.

The grass was at just the right length - recently cut but with enough regrowth to give them a good tradeoff between visibility and cover, and I think that's what they liked. I watched them do their thing for ages - hopping about between the grass, the ivy covered bordering wall, and the apple tree. It felt nice to have been chosen. Well, that my garden was.   

• Hi. I am wondering if they were starlings as they come in flocks and eat bugs in the grass. Blackbirds are very territorial and tend to see others off unless their own recent fledglings.

• Oh could be. Hasn’t realised they weren’t so keen on flocks. I must admit I’m not great at identifying the types. Like I’d know a gull from a robin or whatever but the more subtle ones, not so much. I should get a book to help identify them. Lots of garden visitors though curiously empty skies today. Too still and warm? 

• Starlings are quite comical, making a bit of a chattery noise and not keeping still for long. Their feathers have a greenish shimmer if the light catches them. In contrast blackbirds are still in between and either sing beautifully from trees or make a high pitched alarm call if there is a threat in sight.

• Starlings are quite comical, making a bit of a chattery noise and not keeping still for long. Their feathers have a greenish shimmer if the light catches them. In contrast blackbirds are still in between and either sing beautifully from trees or make a high pitched alarm call if there is a threat in sight.

Children
No Data