Food choices

Are you able to eat anything now that you couldn’t as a child?

I didn’t think I had any food issues until I realised I was Autistic in 2019, and subsequently went through my existence with a fine toothed comb.

My sensory issues don’t stop me eating anything specific as such. It’s more of the case I avoid certain things, and I can, because I cook for myself as my children have flown the nest. I had a little think just now, and I still avoid the things I did as a child. Do you? 

Parents
  • Yep- I was quite fussy at a child, though at some points in my adult life I was even more restrictive in terms of variety... living off only a handful of the same foods for months... A lot of the foods that I struggled with as a child I still struggle with now though I improved in some ways... One of the things I cannot cope with at all is soft bread...As a kid i did not eat bread at all, then only things like the crust of a baguette, now I can have bread if it is toasted, or bread rolls with a crunchy outside... Also cheese was a complete NO for me ... I still can't cope with it though I was able to have mozzarella for a while... I'm fussy about lots of other things too, taste texture etc. Also as I child I really struggled with creamy sauces and sauces in general (though for some reason curry was always ok...), not much has changed... 

The other day though I was surprised at myself as I had a ready meal with lots of foods in it that I never thought I could deal with but I actually liked it! (it was a mexican chili with beef, beans, rice with sweet corn etc. it had loads of foods that i would usually not go near but I liked it surprisingly...) 

I am trying to diversify my diet at the moment due to health reasons and I have been pleasantly surprised sometimes when trying new things... 

• I try, my wife makes a wicked chilli, I have to pick all the red kidney beans out, they are too much like baked beans, squidgy and soft, they change texture in my mouth.

• Sounds nice, chilli is nice. 

Reply Children
No Data