ESA - ATOS - Work - Benefits

Is it a fight for rights or a fight for the easy option ?

While some people may not be able to work the bulk of those with mental/physical disabilities or problems are able to do some kind of work, so I think it's only right that the government of any country seeks to solve this problem even if only to reduce the costs of providing for these people.

Some of these people want to work and need to work around their issues though and this seems to be overlooked by the government.

Some of these people though have not worked for many years or not at all and are now being pressured into finding a job so obviously they find it difficult especially when they have problems with the type of work they can do and the environment they need to work in.

Some of these people though do not want to work full stop - and have got used to being provided for, and the thought of them having to do something for themselves seems impossible so they use their disabilities/problems so not to have to work.

I think unless someone is absolutely unable to work then they should not expect any government to provide for them but the way the government are going about it is all wrong - there is no black and white line between either being able or being unable to work - and people should not be pushed or pulled to one side or the other - this creates a gulf between those people and the government whereby the people are fighting to be on one side and the government in fighting to get them on the other side.

For those who have been one one side of the line for most of their life to suddenly find they have been pushed onto the other side can be a huge problem.

I think there should be some middle ground here - such as for example people getting assessed on a points system and then be expected to work a certain amount of hours and then getting reassessed every few months.

I'm also guilty to some degree of finding comfort in the route of wanting to avoid work due to my many problems and I also see this in other people, currently I do want to work but it means facing problems/anxieties etc so I need certain conditions or I need to be eased into it slowly but at one point I was with the attitude that I am sick and have rights etc and should not have to work - but I have now completely changed my point of view - and like a reformed smoker I am starting to feel animosity towards these kind of people now. I now don't believe that having any problems should serve as an excuse not to work and get annoyed when I see people expect to be provided for as I feel it's the easy option.

In life people need to struggle, without struggle people cannot grow. It's easy to claim money and not have to do anything - it's hard to face your problems and take responsibility for yourself. Whoever we are, whatever our problems we should face them and at least put some effort into our lifes rather than take the easy option.

Choosing or fighting to stay on the easy side of the line will only serve to make yourself weaker in the long run.

While many people need help once their environment is comfortable then people should be only be helped by being taught how to help themselves.

Nobody should be entitled to anything that they have not earned themselves.

I am looking for work, I want to work, I want to face my problems and become a stronger better person.

Parents
  • I'm not sure why you think the bulk of disabled people can work? Yes, some can; but on their terms. To an employers, these terms are unreasonable. For example, one of my disabilities causes fatigue, which means I can only do a few hours of work each day. But, some days, I wouldn't be able to work. Work isn't just about doing work. You also need to be able to get up, wash, dress, have breakfast and get to work. How can you do that if your Autism means you struggle with doing those things? Some people on the spectrum have sensory issues which mean they can't wear clothes. Can't see anyone wanting to employ those people. Your post is extremely judgmental. There's no help out there for helping disabled people back to work. So, how the hell do these disabled people (many do want to work and might be able to with the right support) work when no-one will support them? You're lucky that you can face your problems and deal with them. Some of us can't do that. Unless someone can find a way to stop me from losing what sight I have left in my right eye or find a cure for my Hyperacusis and a way to stop me from going non-verbal during a meltdown. I doubt that somehow.
  • I'm not sure why you think the bulk of disabled people can work? Yes, some can; but on their terms. To an employers, these terms are unreasonable. For example, one of my disabilities causes fatigue, which means I can only do a few hours of work each day. But, some days, I wouldn't be able to work. Work isn't just about doing work. You also need to be able to get up, wash, dress, have breakfast and get to work. How can you do that if your Autism means you struggle with doing those things? Some people on the spectrum have sensory issues which mean they can't wear clothes. Can't see anyone wanting to employ those people. Your post is extremely judgmental. There's no help out there for helping disabled people back to work. So, how the hell do these disabled people (many do want to work and might be able to with the right support) work when no-one will support them? You're lucky that you can face your problems and deal with them. Some of us can't do that. Unless someone can find a way to stop me from losing what sight I have left in my right eye or find a cure for my Hyperacusis and a way to stop me from going non-verbal during a meltdown. I doubt that somehow.
Children
No Data