Friend Requests that arouse suspicion - Is it just me?

Several days ago, I found myself on the receiving end of a Friend Request from a new member, which immediately caused me to feel unnerved and suspicious.

I question if it's a generational thing, or if it's just me. At the time that I received this request, there had been no prior interaction on the forum between myself and this member. Furthermore, their member profile was completely blank. Therefore, I had no way of knowing if this person was on a similar wavelength to me, or if we had anything remotely in common.

Parents Reply Children
  • Agreed....I did have the same reservation....but then I just thought....."nope, this is a wrong 'un" so I hit that button - for no other reason than to alert the MODS of what I feared was going on. I'm glad my share made you feel better........your share had made me feel better about what I had done too.  Mutual support Blush

• Your comment about being judgemental has made me feel so much better. I must admit that when I observed that people were being targeted on a daily basis, and posts were being derailed with links that had absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed, I did feel sorely tempted to do as you had done. What stopped me though was that I found myself thinking, "They aren't being verbally abusive or saying anything that could be considered hateful, so can their behaviour really be deemed as abuse?" 

• Well, in terms of being judgemental, when I saw the fateful first word of doom posted directly under one of my writings "hello" , I simply reported it as abuse to the MODS!

I do hope that the whole MOD crew (my collective terms for our moderators on this forum) have noted the content of this entire thread.  I like to believe that they have a keen eye over all such matters and the feelings of the community here.

I feel slightly uncomfortable with the images of us all with burning torches and  pitch forks hunting down a poor fellow creature like us....but the organic and spontaneous manifestation of concern and self-help for our own is really heartening.

• I did wonder initially if I was being far too judgemental in my opinion of that particular individual. In light of what Catlover has said, I feel thankful that my instincts were (for once) spot on. It's frustrating that so many members ended up being targeted in one form or another.