Meltdown

Can someone please explain to me what a meltdown is.

Are there mild and severe meltdowns

Is laying on the floor not crying just laying down a melt down 

Parents
  • A meltdown for me feels like overwhelming discomfort. I don't really want to call it pain, but it's like my brain just can't process anything else, and I get so angry when people expect me to (when they talk to me or touch me). It feels like I need to escape my skin, and like I just can't continue feeling that way because every action after it is overwhelming, over stimulating, and exhausting. This means my reaction is either anger and frustration, or a complete shutdown. A shutdown means I will become unresponsive, unable to speak, unable to communicate, and unable to think too much. I'll just retreat until I can take a nap. A meltdown for me is just me being really frustrated in public and then getting to a space where I am safe and then sobbing uncontrollably. It normally is really really exhausting though in public to try to be okay because everything is triggering it more.

• A meltdown for me feels like overwhelming discomfort. I don't really want to call it pain, but it's like my brain just can't process anything else, and I get so angry when people expect me to (when they talk to me or touch me). It feels like I need to escape my skin, and like I just can't continue feeling that way because every action after it is overwhelming, over stimulating, and exhausting. This means my reaction is either anger and frustration, or a complete shutdown. A shutdown means I will become unresponsive, unable to speak, unable to communicate, and unable to think too much. I'll just retreat until I can take a nap. A meltdown for me is just me being really frustrated in public and then getting to a space where I am safe and then sobbing uncontrollably. It normally is really really exhausting though in public to try to be okay because everything is triggering it more.

Children
No Data