Meltdown

Can someone please explain to me what a meltdown is.

Are there mild and severe meltdowns

Is laying on the floor not crying just laying down a melt down 

Parents
  • As Lateralus says, everyone is different. Until I realised that I was most likely autistic I didn't equate prior experiences with meltdowns. I'd been aware of sensory issues for a while and assumed this was Misophonia. On occasions when it was really bad or I couldn't escape whatever was going on I'd be thinking "Shut up, Shut up, Shut up", or even saying it out loud, hands clenched into fists etc. A couple of times I've broken things that I've been holding. I'm much better at identifying when I'm close to meltdown now though and mitigating it before it gets that bad.   

• As Lateralus says, everyone is different. Until I realised that I was most likely autistic I didn't equate prior experiences with meltdowns. I'd been aware of sensory issues for a while and assumed this was Misophonia. On occasions when it was really bad or I couldn't escape whatever was going on I'd be thinking "Shut up, Shut up, Shut up", or even saying it out loud, hands clenched into fists etc. A couple of times I've broken things that I've been holding. I'm much better at identifying when I'm close to meltdown now though and mitigating it before it gets that bad.   

Children
  • Ive constantly said shut up.  Out loud sometimes.  Shut up to my stupid thoughs, my stupid worries.  Ive done it since i was about 16.  When people drone on...."shut up" is recycling in my head all the time.  Everyday.  I dont even notice it anymore until youve just posted that