Are there any Dell or other laptop experts here?

I'm hoping there are some autistic computer geniuses here who can help me decide between 3 REFURBISHED laptops. I am so not a computer genius, quite the opposite.

These all cost £250 and they are from a seller I trust:

1. Dell XPS 13 L322X Core i7-3537U 2.00GHz 8GB DDR3 128GB SSD FHD Webcam Laptop

2. Dell Latitude 3550 Core i5-5200U 2.20GHz 8GB DDR3 128GB SSD Webcam HDMI Laptop

3. Dell Latitude 6430u Core i7-3687U 8GB DDR3 128GB SSD Webcam Windows 10 Laptop

EDIT- just found another candidate Dell Inspiron 15 5520 Core i5-3210M 2.50GHz 8GB Ram 500GB HDD Webcam HDMI Laptop at £220. I like the Inspiron I've got, so maybe?

I can provide the links to eBay if you want, that's where I copied those descriptions from^

What I want is a laptop to replace my current Inspiron 5558, which is really on its last legs, it's about 7 years old. I want as much RAM as possible, a screen of *at least* 13 inches, an SSD.

I do not play any games on my laptop, I mostly use it for writing in Word; going on social media; sending emails; shopping online.

Is there anyone who is able to advise me?

Thanks.

• old post, so the specs are outdated now.... but if i were to choose id have chosen none of them at all and perhaps increased my budget...

125gb ssd isnt too good, id want a main 1 terrabyte ssd at least.... although by todays standards 1 terrabyte for gaming isnt enough so id want a desktop with ability to open it up and add more internal ssd in the extra ssd slots.

my laptop i got like 8 or more years ago? ... still works.... was 400 quid... has nividia 1050 graphics and a i5 intel 7th gen, 8gb ram 1 terrabyte hdd.... even back then the standard was having 1 terrabyte storage, and i still have to delete stuff to make room.

im thinking of desktop with 4060 graphics now and 13th gen intel and 1 terrabyte ssd.

• Here's the thing: the "best" laptop really depends on what Starla (love the name by the way!) needs it for.  If she's a whiz at video editing, a powerful machine with top-notch graphics is a must.  But for someone who mainly surfs the web and checks email, a more basic model might be the perfect fit.

In my experience, Dell XPS laptops consistently rank high for their balance of performance, design, and durability.  They might not be the cheapest option out there, but they're built to last.  However, if budget is a major concern, there are some fantastic options from Acer and Asus that pack a punch without breaking the bank.

One thing to remember: don't get too bogged down in specs!  Sometimes reading reviews and comparing features can make your head spin.  Think about what Starla will be using the laptop for most often, and prioritize those features.

• Hey there. There are definitely a lot of autistic computer geniuses here who can help you with your decision! I'm not an expert on laptops, but I would recommend the Dell XPS 13. It has a better processor than the other two laptops you're considering, and it has a solid-state drive, which will make your laptop run faster and start up more quickly. It also has a bigger screen, which will be nice for writing and browsing the web. You might also consider considering lightweight laptops for travel https://thepcenthusiast.com/best-lightweight-laptops-available/ , of course, if you use to travel. Good luck with your decision, and let us know if you have any other questions!

• "Professionals" do it for the money, their decision isn't often the best one for an individual. The best of all laptops is the one you watched a well off relative buy 3 years ago, which has worked faultlessly for them, and then they buy a new up to date one, or the pick of the bunch form an office clearance you've done yourself.

NEW laptops are a "lottery".

If you know anyone who does a IT support role, ask them which 2-3 year old laptops stand out from the rest.

• I hate desktop's been meaning to replace mine just take up way to much space and create clutter I'll probably send my desktop down the skip once I get the new PS5 or Xbox anyway it's battered to *** as I tend to kick it when it's running to slowly too lol

• Let's see what other people say, because we 'spergs do end up in I.T. quite often, 

Yes that's why I asked, I hoped to get some experts.

Thanks, I found out the number doesn't mean the higher Dells are newer, I looked on Wikipedia for that, hopefully it's right. I did like the look of the 3550 originally but the 6430 seemed newer due to the number but maybe it's not.

It's between the two Latitudes for me, I'll think about it more and decide. I've already got a Latitude and it's great so I want another. My Inspiron is so old it's on its last legs I think...

• IIRC, when I did a lot of Dell, they split their machines into lattitude which were a more staid tried adn tested platform aimed at the business user and inspiron which tended to be aimed ta the home user and a bit more "experimental". I.E. if it works well in last years inspiron it'll appear in this years latititude, possibly done a bit better. Then IIRC correctly "alienware" is the cutting edge stuff made for gamers and Sheldon Cooper.

I looked at your specs, which were all fairly similar, then briefly browsed the machines on ebay, and found I liked the "look" of the three machines you specified in ascending order. 

I did not give your request the attention I'd give it if you were my daughter, for example, but I'd be surprised if even after "getting into it properly" if I'd choose differently. I've normally got a good thing going for buying used hardware.

Personally I'd probably buy laptop Number 2 if the price difference is as great as appeared after a quick glance, but IIRC, I saw 2 off laptop number 3 being offered for 99 quid, somewhat incomplete, but I'd be taking a long hard look at that.

I'm trialling my first SSD laptop right now, A lenovo that I won for being in the right place, at the right time, working for the right people and I've already busted the screen cable by moving it too much (which I've never doesn't before with any other make of laptop AFAIK) and I'd feel happier if I had a regular backup thing going, I suspect that when an SSD fails, it may fail totally, all at once.

Unfortunately my mate sold his I.T. Disposals company some years back, otherwise I could get the "skinny" on this quite quickly. 

Let's see what other people say, because we 'spergs do end up in I.T. quite often, I.T. people love to "one-up" one another, and this discussion sets the stage nicely. I was hoping someone would have showed up already to tell me why option 3 was either not the best, or to offer an "option 4"...

• In I.T. a truism is that "if the service is free, then YOU are the product".

Apache Open Office (originally Sun systems Open Office) is a quite useable and free alternative to MS office. With cloud based services, you are at the mercy of the service provider.

• Has made a massive difference. I started using it when I got a Google Pixel... alas I dropped it and didn't have insurance, so am on a cheap replacement I bought to tide me over till contract renewal... however... I found Google docs and a Google pixel were an immense combo! I was managing a bunch of websites, working remotely, using just the pixel phone. Total game changer! Camera on it was cracking as well!

• I organise my life with Google Drive. Just amazing.

• Yes, I use Google docs for my work but I want a non-work laptop for internetting, emailing etc. I can't have my work and my play on the same laptops, it's too much of a risk.

• Not a hard-core gamer, there's only one I like, a football manager simulation, it's not even got any 3d graphics, just a huge database of stats for a few 100k of players... but yeh I get the writing etc and portability issue.

BTW, have you, or anyone for that matter, used Google docs, sheets etc? Ive only just started but I'm getting rather used to it, and saves a lot of cash compared to Microsoft options...

• Also, Aidie, if a Dell has a higher number, does that mean it's a newer model? e.g. a 6430 would be newer than a 5550?

• Ah you see I don't run any games at all. My laptops are for writing, internetting, emailing. I don't do games at all.

I got a Latitude 5540 from the same eBay guy and it's brilliant. It's a lot tougher than the Inspiron, a big butch thing.

• So am I right, if a Dell has a higher number, does that mean it's a newer model? e.g. a 6430 would be newer than a 5550?

I was favouring item 2 (the 3550) but then realised that is older than my 5558 I've had from new. So maybe I will change over to the 6430u. Is that the one you favoured? The Latitude I've got is 5540. So going for a 3000 series wouldn't make sense would it.

You have to give me reasons for why you liked your choice though, you can't just say you don't know why. *shakes fist at you* Sweat smile 

• Was very tempted to do this when I got a new laptop recently... then ended up going with a dell laptop again. I've always had Inspiron laptops... but getting a 4gb one for £299 was a big mistake! Can't run my favourite computer game very well, and I'm anticipating having to upgrade again at some point in the next year. Have had since October...

• I can't transport desktops around with me though Stuck out tongue 

• Ah thanks, I read that Alienware is high powered gaming computers. Totally not me at all. I wouldn't have anything but a Dell now though. Love them.

• I've traded used gear all my life. between the early nineties and mid 2000's I traded computers and did company clearances.

All that knowledge is now irrelevant, but I have a certain amount of skill at "choosing good hardware"

After a cursory glance I decided I liked item 3. I don't know why... I didn't like item 1.

All were available much cheaper from private sellers. I like private sellers because they have used the machine for a while unlike a dealer, who has put it though a "refurb loop" which does not do much to add reliability. 

I don't know if any of that is helpful at all, I feel I ought to be able to add more... Dell, HP and on a good day Toshiba. I've never done well with IBM/lenovo. Most of the other makes fall apart too quick, and, Sony?Just say NO.

*Edit* as a small trader with limited spares access, I always prized, "will it work as the customer expects for the next year or two," over "features", "bling" or "specs"..