Fanfiction and/or fiction

Do you generally read or write fiction and/or fanfiction?

I spend my life reading and writing stories of various types, and I wondered if this is normal for autistic people. I thought we were supposed to have very limited imaginations and interests and that was how we got diagnosed. But my imagination is vast, I tend to live in a fantasy world rather than the real world because it is nicer tbh!

What is your imagination like?

Parents
  • Harry potter is my favourite thing on earth, so i definitely love fiction. However, I remember when it came to mandatory reading in school I HATED 'biff and chip' books etc, and refused to read anything but non-fiction books.

• Mandatory reading has ruined literature for me. I used to be a voracious reader but having to study English Literature put me off. I like to write my own now.

• maybe you should try something else for a change

like reading the same book in different languages, that makes you think about how imaginative are some people doing translating, and how terribly botched job can do other. I read mainly sci-fi and fantasy. there is plenty of made up words. some very difficult to translate, I had few in Asimov's Fundation even a colleague studying english literature at uni had to give up

• maybe you should try something else for a change

like reading the same book in different languages, that makes you think about how imaginative are some people doing translating, and how terribly botched job can do other. I read mainly sci-fi and fantasy. there is plenty of made up words. some very difficult to translate, I had few in Asimov's Fundation even a colleague studying english literature at uni had to give up

Children
  • No thank you. I can't concentrate on long books anymore, and I'm an editor so I read books for work every day. I need to carefully preserve my eyesight for my work, I already wear thick glasses and I need my eyes to earn a living. I've always preferred films for relaxation.