Fanfiction and/or fiction

Do you generally read or write fiction and/or fanfiction?

I spend my life reading and writing stories of various types, and I wondered if this is normal for autistic people. I thought we were supposed to have very limited imaginations and interests and that was how we got diagnosed. But my imagination is vast, I tend to live in a fantasy world rather than the real world because it is nicer tbh!

What is your imagination like?

Parents
  • I live my life entirely in a state of What if...?

All our lives as humans are based upon storytelling and a foundation of fiction.  That's why we describe all our personal and collective memories as hi-STORY. Even our sacred books are all in the form of stories.

I'm not sure where the idea of autism being liked to a lack of imagination, but I have seen no evidence of it personally. The only other autistic people I know in real life are avid movie/TV series/comic-book watchers and readers. I am just about to finish the complete works of PJ Wodehouse (well over 100 hours of audio). This year alone, I have listened to more than 500 hours worth of fiction (and non-fiction). Not a day goes by without me engaging with some form audio or visual storytelling. I write jokes, music, plays, screenplays and short stories.

The only trouble I have, which is definitely linked to autism, is the inability to finish anything; I quickly get absorbed in a new topic or new idea which takes me away from what I started...

• I've read lots of times that autistic people are supposed to have limited imaginations, limited interests, limited sense of humour....But that must be inaccurate and short sighted judging by the autistic people I now know. That is reassuring.

I'm great at finishing stuff though. I love finishing up a project. But I do lost interest in lots of things and move on, usually very abruptly.

e.g. I learned Spanish for 2 years then suddenly lost interest.

• I've read lots of times that autistic people are supposed to have limited imaginations, limited interests, limited sense of humour....But that must be inaccurate and short sighted judging by the autistic people I now know. That is reassuring.

I'm great at finishing stuff though. I love finishing up a project. But I do lost interest in lots of things and move on, usually very abruptly.

e.g. I learned Spanish for 2 years then suddenly lost interest.

Children
No Data