If you have an NT asking how is to be autistic

I came up with sth to help them imagine it:

Try to imagine being dropped from helicopter into a sea during storm, blindfolded, without knowing the height. Then you hit the water, and while being shocked from not fully anticipated contact, your first thought is ‘’I can’t swim’’. Nonetheless, you start fighting for your life, throwing your arms around without skill, yet staying on top somehow. Then, you think, you can hear a familiar voice shouting ‘’Swim, you have to’’.

Hit the water is the moment when you turn 18, and realise the enormity of the task ahead.

Blindfold represents inability to read people correctly.

‘’Swim, you have to’’ is ‘’Act normal’’, something I was told as a child more often than anything else.

Parents Reply Children
  • I am fairly proficient with chopsticks. For the 'ship in a bottle', the masts are  made to swivel. The ship is fully constructed outside the bottle, with the masts folded flat, lying with their tops towards the stern of ship. The ship is slid stern-first into the bottle where it is glued down. There is one thread that connects all the masts and it is threaded through the bowsprit which faces the neck of the bottle. The thread is pulled, and all the masts (with their yards, sails and other rigging) are pulled upright, Then the lifting thread is glued at the bowsprit and cut short. Put the cork in and it is finished.

• what about those inside the bottle? you have to assemble them inside, I tried using chopsticks to eat but my fingers don't want to cooperqate. I would say eating is relatively easy compared  to building a model inside the bottle Slight smile

• Rigging a sailing ship might be challenging.