Urgh. Anything positive to discuss?

The world seems grim right now with Covid, Brexit, endless atrocities, and my cold, uncaring birth family are going to the extreme to prove they don't give two hoots about me.

Is there anything nice we can discuss? e.g. I'm so happy that All Creatures Great and Small and The Great British Bake Off are coming back in the next few weeks. Also Strictly Come Dancing. Lots of silly shows to distract us.

Maybe this is a thread for people who have had enough, to come and talk about lighter, happier subjects.

Parents
  • Autum is nearly here!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely cannot wait. The air gets a bit chillier (hopefully!) we will have gorgeous colours in nature.  The light as it drips through the sky in September is magnificent. If we didn't have the internet / the news etc and know about all the awful stuff, it's things like this which make us human and feeling connected with our world.

• That is a really pretty description and reminds me I used to love Autumn. Now it just means Winter is coming Persevere But yes the colours are lovely.

• But Winter is amazing too! You can eat really fulfilling food, get the side lights on in the house, cosy up under a blanket, get the fire on, hibernate, walk on crisp frost or snow, get wrapped up in a big coat and scarf, then there's the anticipation of spring!!

I read that in Japan, they have 72 seasons. So this marks the more subtle changes throughout the year as opposed to our four seasons.

• The sun brings life, we'd die without the sun. Like they say that the dinosaurs died out due to the asteroid causing a long winter, and why they say the Vikings moved out of Scandinavia- the long cold winters were killing them.

• Defined seasons would be better IMO. I'd love defined seasons. Yes, climate change could do anything couldn't it...

• never thought of it that way before

• That's true. We had so much heat but no rain in April. Then August was bleak. I think you're right actually, if we had more defined seasons it'd be better. I have worries about how it'll differ due to climate change but there's also this real sense of  just "this isn't right"  e.g. a mild winter 

• All animals are in fact.

• Thanks, we've got one. It helps a bit I suppose.

• That's the problem though. If we had nice, defined seasons: hot, sunny summers, cool, breezy autumns, cold, snowy winters and warm, showery springs, it would be fine. But we rarely get a nice, long, hot summer in Britain to enjoy, it all merges into one. Usually rainy, cold, grey. This summer has mostly been a washout and hasn't been enough to be a contrast to winter.

• A lamp that mimics sunlight might help. My daughter tends to get the winter blues and she was living as a student in a room that got virtually zero direct sunlight. Her solar lamp helped her a lot.

• I'm solar powered

that made me chuckle

• I do love long summer nights, especially in June when there's a certain magic in the air...and warm sun is lovely on the skin. I just think I'm more attuned to cooler weather. The dark nights can get to you a bit but....I think I have reverse SAD...it's a pattern I notice, as the days get longer, my mood starts changing. It evens out after a while but I always notice it when the clocks change in march.

I think we need periods of winter in order to enjoy the summer. If everything stayed the same we wouldn't feel the same benefit.

• It's the lack of light that gets me in winter. I'm solar powered. I only function in the long, light days and evenings. When it's dark at 4pm and the nights are endless, I shut down.

If only I could be sure of a long, hot, lovely summer in Britain to power up my solar battery and fill it up, that would be fine. But this year for example...what summer exactly? Rain, rain and more rain. Then back to autumn/winter with more rain and added darkness most of the 24 hours.

I'd love to move to Spain tbh.

• It's the lack of light that gets me in winter. I'm solar powered. I only function in the long, light days and evenings. When it's dark at 4pm and the nights are endless, I shut down.

If only I could be sure of a long, hot, lovely summer in Britain to power up my solar battery and fill it up, that would be fine. But this year for example...what summer exactly? Rain, rain and more rain. Then back to autumn/winter with more rain and added darkness most of the 24 hours.

I'd love to move to Spain tbh.

Children