What made you realise you have/might have autism?

Hey all, hope this is okay to post.

I’ve recently started to realise I may have autism - I originally thought it was ADHD but when I started looking at the crossover I realise that autism might be playing a role too!

I was just wondering what were the signs that originally made you realise you have/might have autism? Especially if you were diagnosed as an adult rather than as a child.

And a follow on question - looking back what did you do as a child that was likely due to autism? I want to get tested but seeing other peoples experiences I’m worried about the process - my memory is so rubbish I’m worried they’ll think I’m just wasting their time.

Thanks in advance! Yum

Parents
  • I always knew I was diferent from everyone else but I never understood why. I always thought it strange that I fell out with friends really easily and that groups of friends would always make the effort to keep in touch with each other but not me

My brain has always worked in an autistic way but since I am not inside other people's heads I assumed thats how everyones brain worked

I first started wondering if I was autistic when I started working as a Teaching Assistant for autistic kids and I started to notice that some of them were a lot like me. I was in an abusive relationship at the time so I quickly forgot about this and carried on pretending to be normal

About a year ago my struggles with people socially were so bad that I went online and started looking into whether I might actually be autistic. It was like a blindfold falling from my eyes. Everything I was reading just described me so perfectly. I cried. It was like my whole life finally made sense. I started reading stories from other autistic people and it was like they were describing what was going on inside my head. I realised I wasnt a wierdo or a failure and that I wasnt alone, there were other people like me!
    I took many tests and was top of the scale with all of them

My doctor agreed and I am currently on a waitng list for a an assesment. 

• I always knew I was diferent from everyone else but I never understood why. I always thought it strange that I fell out with friends really easily and that groups of friends would always make the effort to keep in touch with each other but not me

My brain has always worked in an autistic way but since I am not inside other people's heads I assumed thats how everyones brain worked

I first started wondering if I was autistic when I started working as a Teaching Assistant for autistic kids and I started to notice that some of them were a lot like me. I was in an abusive relationship at the time so I quickly forgot about this and carried on pretending to be normal

About a year ago my struggles with people socially were so bad that I went online and started looking into whether I might actually be autistic. It was like a blindfold falling from my eyes. Everything I was reading just described me so perfectly. I cried. It was like my whole life finally made sense. I started reading stories from other autistic people and it was like they were describing what was going on inside my head. I realised I wasnt a wierdo or a failure and that I wasnt alone, there were other people like me!
    I took many tests and was top of the scale with all of them

My doctor agreed and I am currently on a waitng list for a an assesment. 

Children
No Data