Do you guys actually care about this?

Parents
  • no, not really, Mr O. i'm autistic, but that's about as far as i go with labels. that's why i call myself autistic guy. hopefully that gives enough information to understand that i might not behave in ways that are deemed normal. funnily enough i was talking to someone who works at the autistic charity today (she's my advocate) and she was telling me about how difficult it is today for many autistic people because they have to cope with so many changes in labels.  

• no, not really, Mr O. i'm autistic, but that's about as far as i go with labels. that's why i call myself autistic guy. hopefully that gives enough information to understand that i might not behave in ways that are deemed normal. funnily enough i was talking to someone who works at the autistic charity today (she's my advocate) and she was telling me about how difficult it is today for many autistic people because they have to cope with so many changes in labels.  

Children
  • That's fair enough I've been thinking about it for couple of days I was re-reading my report, I was diagnosed in March this year and because of the changes in the DSM in 2013. (I'm sure you already know) I couldn't be diagnosed with Aspergers so its ASD/C but I remember the doctor who assessed me specifically saying that I am (accord to the DSM-IV) a "text book case of Aspergers syndrome" and it says in my report too that I have all the traits of someone with Aspergers yet my diagnosis is ASD. I kind of get confused about how I should refer to myself. Not necessarily because I'm worried about offending people but just because my report has that conflicting statement and also because of what he actually said to me during my assessment. And again too he said was explaining to my mum about how I'm high functioning as she was with me during the assessment but that's not on my report and I know there is some controversy in the autistic community about that too.

I think I'm just a bit confused about it.