Emotional support animal - CAT

Hello all 

I have two sons who have ADHD and ASD we are trying to get permission for them to have a cat as an emotional support animal especially for my eldest who suffers from anxiety 

Our Management company requires a letter from a medical professional recommending that he have the cat as an emotional support animal.

We have sent a letter asking our GP for assistance but is there anywhere else that anyone can suggest we try in order to get this letter please?

Parents Reply Children
  • Old post I know, but since it's about the first time I've ever seen "Plastic" not understand a concept way better than me I'll weigh in.

I discovered the meaning of the word "Emotional support animal" last October when my partners cat abruptly (and unexpectedly) died.

Up until that point I considered that I supported her cat. I fed him, I played with him, took him to the vet, and spent several years hoping that one day he'd actually come to me when I called him, or express a bit of liking for me. Eventually I realised that he liked me well enough, just not in the way that my previous cat liked me. 

Of course you have to leave them at home from time to time. The support part kicks in when you realise that no matter how bad or challenging your day is, your cat is waiting for you (to feed them primarily!) when you get home, and although it's work that you have to do (seemingly without reward). before you can do your own stuff curiously, you are looking forwards to it...

• But your argument falls flat because the animal would not be leaving the house - it's not supporting them anywhere except at home - and if they don't need it out of the house, then it's just a pet.        I can't see your management company agreeing with you.  

You might have a better chance is it was a professionally trained dog from a legal-argument point of view.