Masking: What is it?

I've come across the term 'masking' a few times, and I did a little google search. I'm still not sure I fully understand it.

Parents
  • I don't know if others have experienced this but after masking for a bit I can start to zone out more into my own mind and thought process and not be as aware of everything around me maybe even come across a bit ignorant or slow to respond to other people maybe even doing the odd job and later on reflection not even remember doing the odd job. Infact I often feel myself slow down mind and actions can be a common experience for me as well as feeling shattered.

• I think you're describing a 'shutdown', or maybe a partial shutdown.

When this happens to me I just appear to be lost in a daydream, or asleep with my eyes open. I've heard people saying "are you there?" "where are you Ben, speak to me", but they either get a grunted monosyllabic reply, or silence.

I've never actually discussed it with anyone but have read that the cause is sensory overload, and I'm sure that's correct.  It's a safe place to be, but it does puzzle and perplex others. 

Ben

• These used to really scare me - I'm treating these as warning signs now that I need to adjust what I'm doing so I don't get overloaded - even if that means making a lifestyle change or work adjustment. I can remember many a time where I've felt so exhausted I've barely been able to function or hold a conversation.

• These used to really scare me - I'm treating these as warning signs now that I need to adjust what I'm doing so I don't get overloaded - even if that means making a lifestyle change or work adjustment. I can remember many a time where I've felt so exhausted I've barely been able to function or hold a conversation.

Children
No Data