Intervention

I read a lot of American autism sites and they all talk about "early intervention" being the key to "recovery".

What do they mean and why is the British view of autism so different? Can you recover from autism?

• Hi I do not believe it is helpful when people say can you recover from Autism.Our brains are wired differently and we see and react ti the world in a different way.I actually like my Autism I see it as a strength so personally I do not want to recover 

• because america has a functioning healthcare system

while the uk... has the nhs lol

• Either it's a miscommunication or it's in the same realm as a Texan Baptist minister praying for the gayness to leave someone's body.

I could certainly imagine someone with Autism being taught how to mask effectively to be able to appear to be Neurotypical, but as I'm sure you'd agree, this isn't the same as a cure. There are pretty simple tricks you could teach someone to appear to get on with neurotypical people like small talk, looking in people's eyes, not stimming - but why would you want to!?

No, in my opinion you can't "recover" from autism, like you can't recover from gayness - but you can be shamed into hiding it.

• Hi

Not sure about the term 'recovery' as this is quite an emotive word but there does seem to be a group of children who no longer meet the criteria for an autism diagnosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19009353

Note however, that this study refers to the presence of 'residual vulnerabilities and co-morbidities' even after loss of diagnosis.

Personally I dont think we know for sure - very little research into this type of issue is ever funded, unfortunately.

Zoe

• That's what I thought.

How awful for your son. I watched a video about autism once and the lady on there related an experience that she had where a teacher told her:

"I know your child has autism Mrs so and so but as far as I am concerned he leaves it at the door of my classroom."

I remember thinking that that had to be the single most absurd response ever!

I am so glad we home ed our sons, they are well out of that system IMHO.

• Autism is for life. 

I can however see that early intervention and support gives any individual more confidence, self-esteem, strategies and tools to utilise throughout life providing a better chance of reaching their full potential and minimising a lot of the stress.

Just my thoughts based on what I have read and experienced with my own son who has Aspergers.  We struggle with our school who seem to think they can discipline our son into getting rid of Aspergers so he will be like the rest of the class.  Very frustrating.