We are a family of three. Our child is autistic and has sensory integration difficulties. The problem is that we live in one bedroom flat (35 m2) and we have no space to make OT activities or to play. Moreover, there is dump in each room and our child often gets allergy reaction. We have been living in this place for eight years and are desperate to change the flat for bigger accommodation. Will there be a chance to get a mortgage in situation where only one person in our family works full time?  Our child receives DLA (higher rate) and we have some other benefits. We wonder if banks consider benefits as income? We would be grateful for your comments. 

Many thanks!

  • Hi, I know there was help with mortgage payments to those on DLA under the last Labour governments but I believe this was taken away when the Conservatives got in in 2010 but you'd need to check this presently.  

    My first call would be to Citizens Advice and ask to speak to someone familiar with housing/mortgages or they will point you in the right direction. You'll likely need a list of all benefits coming in, the main earners income and the appropriate deposit required for the amount of mortgage you're thinking of taking on. 

    Failing that you may be eligible for a Co Ownership mortgage or you could simply rent a bigger place in the meantime ?

  • yes you can get a mortgage from one salary. The best way to find out what you can buy is to talk face to face with a building society or mortgage agent/broker. Try 2/3 agents just an initial chat to see what you can afford.  Dont forget to try the Credit unions as some do mortgages as well.

  • Thank you so much for your advice. I will try my best to contact as many people/institutions as I can. 

  • Thank you very much for your suggestion. At first I will have a talk with a mortgage agent. 

  • Hello, I am not a professional in this field, and I don't know if I can help you with a proper answer. It depends on your monthly income and many other factors. Also, it depends on the bank and on the sum of money you want to borrow from it. The best thing to do for you is to contact someone from Mortgage Advice Hull. Maybe there you will find an answer to your questions. My cousin recently took a mortgage from this company, and he said they are very welcoming and will find a way to help you.