Mortgage

Hello, 

We are a family of three. Our child is autistic and has sensory integration difficulties. The problem is that we live in one bedroom flat (35 m2) and we have no space to make OT activities or to play. Moreover, there is dump in each room and our child often gets allergy reaction. We have been living in this place for eight years and are desperate to change the flat for bigger accommodation. Will there be a chance to get a mortgage in situation where only one person in our family works full time?  Our child receives DLA (higher rate) and we have some other benefits. We wonder if banks consider benefits as income? We would be grateful for your comments. 

Many thanks!

Parents
  • yes you can get a mortgage from one salary. The best way to find out what you can buy is to talk face to face with a building society or mortgage agent/broker. Try 2/3 agents just an initial chat to see what you can afford.  Dont forget to try the Credit unions as some do mortgages as well.

• yes you can get a mortgage from one salary. The best way to find out what you can buy is to talk face to face with a building society or mortgage agent/broker. Try 2/3 agents just an initial chat to see what you can afford.  Dont forget to try the Credit unions as some do mortgages as well.

Children
  • Yes, you can get a mortgage even if only one family member has a full-time job. It all depends on how high your partner's salary is. You won't have any problems if it satisfies the bank's standard. My husband and I got a mortgage a year ago. Only my husband worked; I looked after my daughter and had unofficial income from tutoring online. Even though our credit history was perfect, we were worried about the loan. After several consultations with [Removed by Mod] we get a mortgage and now live in a spacious house with enough space for our daughter to exercise.

• Thank you very much for your suggestion. At first I will have a talk with a mortgage agent.