Suggestions for stimming aids please

I'm not sure if I am using the correct terminology here but I am wanting suggestions for stimming aids, in other words, things that help with sensory overload and to ease anxiety. 

I have seen noise cancelling headphones, however I am reluctant to spend the money on these as I do not like playing music and I would essentially be using them as ear defenders. Which brings me on to ear defenders - has anybody come across any ear defenders that look more like wireless headphones? I would feel self conscious walking around a supermarket in obvious ear defenders. 

I have tried a weighted blanket in the past for anxiety (before my ASD diagnosis) but felt claustrophobic. 

I like the idea of putty but I am put off by the smell - has anybody had a putty that does not have that typical playdough scent?  

Fidget spinners and anything else metallic has never worked for me - I think I need something warmer or softer (I find it very soothing to put my hands and feet in warm water but this does not help me when I'm out and about). 

I'm willing to look at anything really so please offer your suggestions or ideas. 

Thank you! 

Parents
  • hi LL

First of all I am also researching the noise reduction line of products and may end up getting some noise reduction earplugs; I like running and work outside so do need to be aware of noise for hazards but the background noise as people say is so nauseating sometimes. I think I am going to get some ones that are marketed at people going to music concerts as they allow you to hear but reduce the decibels.

Secondly when it comes to stimming I am a big jiggler - I jig from one foot to the other, or do heel lifts - these are great because if you feel self conscious just say to anyone who asks "I like to keep moving cos it stops cramps" and they tend to accept that! I also love a Koosh ball! they are only a few quid but so satisfying to pull, twist, throw... oh wow I love them! I have about 9 of them and they are easily available online.

• hi LL

First of all I am also researching the noise reduction line of products and may end up getting some noise reduction earplugs; I like running and work outside so do need to be aware of noise for hazards but the background noise as people say is so nauseating sometimes. I think I am going to get some ones that are marketed at people going to music concerts as they allow you to hear but reduce the decibels.

Secondly when it comes to stimming I am a big jiggler - I jig from one foot to the other, or do heel lifts - these are great because if you feel self conscious just say to anyone who asks "I like to keep moving cos it stops cramps" and they tend to accept that! I also love a Koosh ball! they are only a few quid but so satisfying to pull, twist, throw... oh wow I love them! I have about 9 of them and they are easily available online.

Children
  • Thanks for the tips! I am having issues with ear plugs which I have to wear at night because I am such a light sleeper but I am finding them almost painful. I don't like the sensation of having them shoved in my ears so I think headphones or ear defenders are a better option for when I am awake. I just want some that aren't very expensive because I won't be using them for music but that block out enough sound to make it worth it. 

I'm not a jiggler, it tends to be a build up of energy in my arms and hands. Before my diagnosis I had no idea why I felt like that and would stop myself from giving in to the need to move my arms and hands around but now I understand, I am trying not to be so self conscious. 

I will have a look at a Koosh ball. Thanks.