Suggestions for stimming aids please

I'm not sure if I am using the correct terminology here but I am wanting suggestions for stimming aids, in other words, things that help with sensory overload and to ease anxiety. 

I have seen noise cancelling headphones, however I am reluctant to spend the money on these as I do not like playing music and I would essentially be using them as ear defenders. Which brings me on to ear defenders - has anybody come across any ear defenders that look more like wireless headphones? I would feel self conscious walking around a supermarket in obvious ear defenders. 

I have tried a weighted blanket in the past for anxiety (before my ASD diagnosis) but felt claustrophobic. 

I like the idea of putty but I am put off by the smell - has anybody had a putty that does not have that typical playdough scent?  

Fidget spinners and anything else metallic has never worked for me - I think I need something warmer or softer (I find it very soothing to put my hands and feet in warm water but this does not help me when I'm out and about). 

I'm willing to look at anything really so please offer your suggestions or ideas. 

Thank you! 

Parents Reply Children
  • i use the rubber reusable ones i cover them in baby bum cream which allows them to go in and come out easily and stops all infections and keeps the wax down as well.

Each pair comes in a  plastic box which i fill with baby bum cream ( zinc oxide ) :)