Driving

I got my diagnosis around three months ago and turned 17 last month and that means driving. I've never really wanted to drive and made that clear, but of course everyone still wants me to learn, which I understand.

During my first lesson I really tried to enjoy it, and after I was trying to stay optimistic and say I loved it, but it was so awful. It was so overwhelming, doing so many different things at one time, having to focus on all these different things.

I've had one other lesson, which I dreaded, and was so overwhelmed the whole time, once I got out the car I started having a panic attack.

I can't drive and I don't want to. I know how important it is to be able to drive but not only is it just overwhelming, it's also dangerous to me and other people. If I somehow get my license and get overwhelmed while driving I could crash and really hurt myself or other people.

I've tried talking to my mum about it as well as my granny but they both say I should do it anyway because it's an important skill to have. I don't think they really understand that it's different for me than it is for them

Any advice is really appreciated :)

Parents
  • If you think you'd be okay with driving when you get the hang of it, but you're struggling at the moment because of nerves or worrying about messing up, try searching for a local driving instructor that caters for people with anxiety issues.

I know other people who have done this and found out really helping to have somebody who understands that they need some extra reassurance and patience.

• If you think you'd be okay with driving when you get the hang of it, but you're struggling at the moment because of nerves or worrying about messing up, try searching for a local driving instructor that caters for people with anxiety issues.

I know other people who have done this and found out really helping to have somebody who understands that they need some extra reassurance and patience.

Children
No Data