Driving

I got my diagnosis around three months ago and turned 17 last month and that means driving. I've never really wanted to drive and made that clear, but of course everyone still wants me to learn, which I understand.

During my first lesson I really tried to enjoy it, and after I was trying to stay optimistic and say I loved it, but it was so awful. It was so overwhelming, doing so many different things at one time, having to focus on all these different things.

I've had one other lesson, which I dreaded, and was so overwhelmed the whole time, once I got out the car I started having a panic attack.

I can't drive and I don't want to. I know how important it is to be able to drive but not only is it just overwhelming, it's also dangerous to me and other people. If I somehow get my license and get overwhelmed while driving I could crash and really hurt myself or other people.

I've tried talking to my mum about it as well as my granny but they both say I should do it anyway because it's an important skill to have. I don't think they really understand that it's different for me than it is for them

Any advice is really appreciated :)

Parents
  • I know this isn't for everyone, but I learnt to ride a motorcycle first.  Got my road skills on that and finally passed my car test at 25.  I couldn't cope with being in a box with so many things to think about, with a motorcycle it was all at my fingertips and toes already.  I didn't get on with riding a bicycle as a youngster, but I did ride horses an I honestly think that made the transition to a motorbike alot easier!

I needed to be independent, and didn't really think of biking until I failed my car test four times and my parents suggested it!  Learning without someone breathing down my neck all the time was a great help. but the roads were alot quieter back then too...

• Exactly what I did.

Infact it would be safer if everyone learned to ride a motorcycle first. It is well known, in the insurance industry especially, that motorcyclists make better car drivers.

• Yes, I think that is fair comment. Although, I would also give credit to the local bobby who did bicycle proficiency classes; especially as I was quite late learning how to properly balance on a bicycle. But I'm inclined to go back further than that and say that you should know how to be a good pedestrian. I drive in one of the most dangerous countries in the World, and I note that so few people really walk anywhere (like walk to school) that they never really learn the basics of highway safety like crossing the road safely. So when it comes to wheeled transport, they are already hugely inexperienced and full of bad habits.

Some of my earliest proper driving experiences were actually with a tractor. it left me very heavy handed with such things as gear changes, clutch operation, steering and braking. I took about three goes to pass the test, and didn't actually pass it until i was in employment. That's an argument for learning things with a natural progression, I think. However, I'm an attentive driver, with a long history of getting places safely and confidently

• wow you were in the band Oasis, thats awesome,  I bet you know some stories about Liam. Whats he really like ?

Reply Children
No Data