Are these emotions normal

Hi All who come across this,

life for my daughter hasn't changed as such due to the fact I had already adapted to who she is from gaining valuable insight into her just through observing the things she does however for me I seem to be going through a roller coaster of emotions since my princess was diagnosed asd only a week ago, I always believed my daughters hearing problems to be the reasons behind her special traits.

i feel like I've been told this and that's it your on your own, go get on with it, which is funny as I have brought my daughter up for years now, so is this a normal reaction as a parent to go through so many emotions, denial, loss, feelings of failure and plenty more.

i am so proud of my daughter she is a real inspiration to me and various other family members.

Any feedback would be great

have a great day everybody :-)

Parents
  • My son is 3.10 yrs old. He only recieved his diagnosis last month. I wasn't prepared for it but was expecting it, if that makes sense. They Kind of told me he was on the spectrum before they gave him the diagnosis, but i suppose i was in denial and didn't let it sink in until the official words came from the doctors mouth.

I have been quite mixed up since then, I was sad for my boys future, but happy he was finally getting some support. I was releaved that there was finally a reason for why he is like he is, but disapointed that he won't just grow out of it. But the main things i felt was confused and overwhelmed. I still don't know what the majority of the abeviation mean and then when i figure out what they mean, I have to figure what they actaully are or do. Then i confuse them. It will sink in over time, I'm sure.

The main thing that is going round in my head lately is, where on the spectrum is he? I believe he is quite low down. Although he does learn, he can type things out with perfect spelling on the computer, won't speak the words though. He can sing a tune, word for word, but replacing the words is a sound similar to the word.

We are very lucky really, compaired to some other families who are having to fight just to get an appropriate education for their kids. Within 2 weeks of him recieving his diagnosis, he had an ILP in place and is awaiting an appointment with the EP. He attends a communication group every week and gets one to one at Nursery. The teachers at his Nursery are brilliant, they are accomodating his needs and keeping me in the loop, which right now, is exactly what i need, i need to know he is doing ok.

I think it is perfectly normal to be all over the place with your emotions at first, it is a huge thing to take on board, something that will affect the rest of your's and your childs life. The key i think is, finding a balance and finding a way that you can just get on with your life, accept that things won't be easy, but remind yourself that your child is worth it, enjoy the moments, life ain't easy at the best of times, its the moments that make it worth while, hold onto to them.

Good luck for the future and keep smiling, even if sometimes its seems like an impossible thing to do :)

• My son is 3.10 yrs old. He only recieved his diagnosis last month. I wasn't prepared for it but was expecting it, if that makes sense. They Kind of told me he was on the spectrum before they gave him the diagnosis, but i suppose i was in denial and didn't let it sink in until the official words came from the doctors mouth.

I have been quite mixed up since then, I was sad for my boys future, but happy he was finally getting some support. I was releaved that there was finally a reason for why he is like he is, but disapointed that he won't just grow out of it. But the main things i felt was confused and overwhelmed. I still don't know what the majority of the abeviation mean and then when i figure out what they mean, I have to figure what they actaully are or do. Then i confuse them. It will sink in over time, I'm sure.

The main thing that is going round in my head lately is, where on the spectrum is he? I believe he is quite low down. Although he does learn, he can type things out with perfect spelling on the computer, won't speak the words though. He can sing a tune, word for word, but replacing the words is a sound similar to the word.

We are very lucky really, compaired to some other families who are having to fight just to get an appropriate education for their kids. Within 2 weeks of him recieving his diagnosis, he had an ILP in place and is awaiting an appointment with the EP. He attends a communication group every week and gets one to one at Nursery. The teachers at his Nursery are brilliant, they are accomodating his needs and keeping me in the loop, which right now, is exactly what i need, i need to know he is doing ok.

I think it is perfectly normal to be all over the place with your emotions at first, it is a huge thing to take on board, something that will affect the rest of your's and your childs life. The key i think is, finding a balance and finding a way that you can just get on with your life, accept that things won't be easy, but remind yourself that your child is worth it, enjoy the moments, life ain't easy at the best of times, its the moments that make it worth while, hold onto to them.

Good luck for the future and keep smiling, even if sometimes its seems like an impossible thing to do :)

Children
No Data