Are these emotions normal

Hi All who come across this,

life for my daughter hasn't changed as such due to the fact I had already adapted to who she is from gaining valuable insight into her just through observing the things she does however for me I seem to be going through a roller coaster of emotions since my princess was diagnosed asd only a week ago, I always believed my daughters hearing problems to be the reasons behind her special traits.

i feel like I've been told this and that's it your on your own, go get on with it, which is funny as I have brought my daughter up for years now, so is this a normal reaction as a parent to go through so many emotions, denial, loss, feelings of failure and plenty more.

i am so proud of my daughter she is a real inspiration to me and various other family members.

Any feedback would be great

have a great day everybody :-)

Parents
  • Hi Calamity,

Before I took early retirement to spend more time with my DS I was a SENCo in a school. We were told by the LA that children needed to be at least 2 years behind their peers to get a Statement, and so I might have said the same to you as your school's SENCo. However she should at least have an IEP at School Action Plus and the school should be putting in support for her. Have they contacted your local ASD team for advice and support?
    Since I retired I have discovered that parents can request Statements. This was not something I came across at school because we always aimed to apply for Statements as soon as it became clear that this was what a child needed, with advice from our Ed Psych and other professionals.

There is an organisation called IPSEA which helps parents make requests for Statutory Assessment, which is what you need first. They have model letters on their website that you can use, and also a telephone advice line. There is also a lot of information on there about the process which leads to the issuing of a Statement.

My son was not Statemented until Year 9. When he was at Primary School I don't think a request would have been successful, but children can be given Statements at any time in their school career.

• Hi Calamity,

Before I took early retirement to spend more time with my DS I was a SENCo in a school. We were told by the LA that children needed to be at least 2 years behind their peers to get a Statement, and so I might have said the same to you as your school's SENCo. However she should at least have an IEP at School Action Plus and the school should be putting in support for her. Have they contacted your local ASD team for advice and support?
    Since I retired I have discovered that parents can request Statements. This was not something I came across at school because we always aimed to apply for Statements as soon as it became clear that this was what a child needed, with advice from our Ed Psych and other professionals.

There is an organisation called IPSEA which helps parents make requests for Statutory Assessment, which is what you need first. They have model letters on their website that you can use, and also a telephone advice line. There is also a lot of information on there about the process which leads to the issuing of a Statement.

My son was not Statemented until Year 9. When he was at Primary School I don't think a request would have been successful, but children can be given Statements at any time in their school career.

Children
No Data