Supermarket annoyance.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with an ASC of the Aspergers type last year. 

I thought I'd see how everyone else is coping with lack of essentials in supermarkets due to panic buying of customers and stock pilling because of the Covid-19 virus impacting our lives?

I cannot stand doing my weekly shop as it is on a Sunday but even more so now that every time I have gone recently through the week for toilet roll I cannot seem to find any anywhere not only that but they are more busier than usual.

I have seen the true selfishness of people with the thought of "me, me, me" springs to mind of some people I see in shops. I cannot help but think if everyone just bought what they needed that there would be more than enough to go around everyone.

I'm approaching almost a week with no toilet paper which is really angering me even though I'm using tissue paper and kitchen roll. I have a family of five so as you can imagine we get through quite a lot through the week but having said that usually 9 rolls will last a week.

Anyway my question to you all is how are you all finding the current situation we are living in? Do you think the supermarkets could have done/do more to enable all of us to continue to buy basic essentials without a problem?

Anyway sorry if it comes across as a whinge but I needed some where to vent my feelings.

• Not by a long way.

I am an NAS veteran, and some of our threads just go on and on and on, until the system breaks down and some of the postings disappear. 

I am however still annoyed by the supermarkets,  some goods have been out of stock for weeks, such as the Aldi, hot chicken curry cans. They only have mild.

• This must be the longest thread known to NAS Eyes

• I now shop at the smaller supermarkets and more unpopular shops, they may have a smaller range of goods, but at least service is fast.

The queues in the main supermarkets have become ridiculous just before Easter, at waitrose the queue has split,  there were now two feeder queues, queuing to get to the end of the real queue. 

• That's not a total prohibition on everything for six months, mind...

• 6 months...have you not seen the news?

• 6months worth....?..lol

• I'm able to get nearly everything, just having to be a bit less choosy on brands.

The biggest frustrations are a lack of certainty on how long this goes on for and the fact that all my social activities are on hold until further notice.

• The American tactic of 'Price Gouging' makes sense, in this scenario. It would restore a sense of order in the shops.

Americans were just talking about the toilet paper; while here, there is also a lack of pasta, rice, beans, bread and - at my village shops - chicken.

• Agreed! Well said. I second this.

• Must be really tough working in a supermarket at the moment. Thank you for everything you and your colleagues are doing.

• I have loads in my flat but not through panic buying... I brought loads when I moved into my flat because I don’t drive, and they are bulky I took advantage of my dads offer to take me out to stock up on bulky items. So when the panic buying hit I had nothing to worry about :)

• I really can't understand why there are still empty shelves where loo rolls should be. We went to Wilko, Lidl & Tesco Metro at around 9.30 yesterday - none in any store. I read that we produce loads of loo rolls in this country, so why has production & delivery not increased, as it normally would when there is an increase in demand? Workers in loo roll factories must still be allowed to work, and if they have some staff off sick/isolating why don't they take on some temporary staff from the pool of self employed who now have no work? It's making people panic more and buy more as they don't know when they'll see some again. I hope it gets sorted out soon. 

Our local corner shop seems to be most reliable for loo rolls, and has a lot of other essentials, although some of it is at a higher price. We found vape liquid there too at £2.99 for a 10ml bottle for my partner, as the vape stores are closed. Our local Lidl & Tesco Metro have been good for getting other things such as beef mince, Passata, frozen foods, baked beans, ketchup etc.

Good luck everyone with getting what you need & keeping anxiety down.

• I work in a supermarket part-time and have ASC.

Our company limits the amount you can buy of certain products so everyone can have something. 

Also has mandatory lining up with 2 metre gaps and regular announcements to remind customers to keep 2 metres away from staff and everyone.  We also have sneeze guards in checkouts. 

“Always try to be nice, never fail to be kind.” 12th Doctor.

• Compassion has completly disappeared with common sense. I had an ambulance as I'd deteriorated. The dr ordered inhalors to try open my airways as I'm strong enough as not classed vulnerable to stay at home. The dr said he put the inhalors as urgent. I called our pharmacy struggling to talk through breathlessness and coughs. Asked could they please deliver I've been told I have corona. She said no we re busy you collect them yourself! Considering I'd collapsed and 111 called the ambulance and Id been seen and told corona I was pre meltdown already. I called the dr back who was outraged and my meds arrived within 10 mins! But considering we're in quarantine to stop the spread, a pharmacy telling someone who's got corona to pick up their own meds is absurd. I get angry at the lack of common sense and compassion at the moment. It's just everyone for themselves

• Gotta love the Waitrose guy with his high level N100 mask but no goggles (viruses infect via the eyes).  But the pose and look on his face is classic.  He has the "dont fk with me", look.

Still at least people up your way are taking it a bit more seriously than down here.

• Supermarkets today.

Guards letting people in,  only when someone leaves.

Queues outside being told to keep more than two metres apart.

• They fluffed the order.  It came short by 4 bottles of beer. Disappointed  Everything else was good though, ordered milk, some veg and golden syrup for making flapjack. Slight smile

I ordered 8 bottles of Theakstons Old Peculiar, got 4.  Still its better than 0.  After a call to their home shop department they refunded the money for the missing bottles.  Apparently the courier firm they use is external to the company, maybe Deliveroo or Uber Eats.

But I still recommend them if you cant find anything else.  It was a 2 hour turnaround from order to delivery.

Its good they are finally taking it seriously.  I personally think anyone going should only be able to get 1 of anything they want, unless they are over 70 and can prove it (then its 3 items).  Or have a specific disability and can prove it.  They should also be holding back amounts of staple foods like pasta, milk and bread for the vulnerable members of the community.  It will never happen, but it should.

• The supermarkets today have finally taken the virus threat seriously,  two metre exclusion zones are being enforced. 

Guards at the entrance limit shoppers with the rule, one person can only enter when one person leaves.

People queuing outside must be more than 2 meters apart.

At checkouts there are tapes on the floor enforcing 2 metre excursion zones.  Only one person per zone.  I got warned because I entered someone else's zone.

• After signing up on every supermarket site and trying to find a delivery I finally got lucky on the Co-Op site and managed to get a delivery using their on-demand service.  Max 20 items and not much range, but ive got some milk, rocket, gin and beer inbound.

So far they are the only ones ive found that have had any availability.  Prices arent as cheap as Aldi or Tesco, but food is food and its not like I can be picky in my current situation. ;)

• Luckily, the supermarkets in our area are well-prepared except only for the alcohols which are all now out of stock. But they have replaced with a good amount of hand sanitizers. I see people panic buying but the grocery store staff keep on telling the people that they don't need to worry as they got a lot of stock.