Is it wrong to download illegaly?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this discussion to see what people think about illegal downloads....

I can honestly say I have never done it. Mainly for the fear of downloading a virus. From a moral perspective I am undecided.

I love music and love to collect CD's and records. If someone was never ever going to hear a beautiful peice of music in their life because they could not afford it would it be OK for them to download it illegaly? If they could never create something because they did not have some expensive software and therefore never fulfill there full potential would it be OK to illegall download the software? However where do you draw the line? Do you then just help yourself to someones possesions? Also what if the owner (software designer or artist) is really struggling to make a living? Should that influence your decision to download?

I am not a big fan of the consumer economy and culture but thats maybe another topic.

Cool

Parents
  • What about the dissemination of recorded television programmes that are not available on video or DVD and may not be broadcast again? This mainly applies to old documentaries and news programmes but entertainment material is not always immune.

This is a situation where copyright law falters. It is officially illegal to disseminate recorded television programmes even if no charge is made to the customer, but you also have balance the law with availability of material for research purposes and preservation. It is also possible that the original has been lost or destroyed by the producer or broadcaster and off air recordings are the only versions which still survive.

The way I see things is that dissemination of such video material is a victimless crime, and if the copyright holder is unhappy, then it would be more intelligent to make an official version available to buy for a reasonable price than to sue those who are breaking the law.

You could always argue "comply with the law and go without" but this could seriously impact research and lead to certain video material being lost for good.

• What about the dissemination of recorded television programmes that are not available on video or DVD and may not be broadcast again? This mainly applies to old documentaries and news programmes but entertainment material is not always immune.

This is a situation where copyright law falters. It is officially illegal to disseminate recorded television programmes even if no charge is made to the customer, but you also have balance the law with availability of material for research purposes and preservation. It is also possible that the original has been lost or destroyed by the producer or broadcaster and off air recordings are the only versions which still survive.

The way I see things is that dissemination of such video material is a victimless crime, and if the copyright holder is unhappy, then it would be more intelligent to make an official version available to buy for a reasonable price than to sue those who are breaking the law.

You could always argue "comply with the law and go without" but this could seriously impact research and lead to certain video material being lost for good.

Children
No Data