Is it wrong to download illegaly?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this discussion to see what people think about illegal downloads....

I can honestly say I have never done it. Mainly for the fear of downloading a virus. From a moral perspective I am undecided.

I love music and love to collect CD's and records. If someone was never ever going to hear a beautiful peice of music in their life because they could not afford it would it be OK for them to download it illegaly? If they could never create something because they did not have some expensive software and therefore never fulfill there full potential would it be OK to illegall download the software? However where do you draw the line? Do you then just help yourself to someones possesions? Also what if the owner (software designer or artist) is really struggling to make a living? Should that influence your decision to download?

I am not a big fan of the consumer economy and culture but thats maybe another topic.

Cool

Parents
  • I personally am regularly "stolen from".. im a tattoo artist and have drawn a number of flash sheets/designs... and when i started i copyrighted everything and sold ... but it didnt stop anything so now Im under the impression of if people want my drawing all they have to do is ask me and they are welcome to use what ever they wish...

I didnt start drawing to get rich... i started because i loved drawing and i loved showing people my art... I think 99% of musicians feel the same...

** also as somebody above stated... a friend of mine is in the music business... drum and base etc.... and he for years went mental at people illegally downloading his stuff... that is untill i pointed out and asked him how me made his music... with illegally downloaded software... lol

and ill be honest me personally... i use a downloaded copy of photoshop... untill they release a personal licence that doesnt cost a bomb ill continue to use one.... iv downloaded music illegally before... if i like what i hear i purchase if i dont iv not lost anything and its deleted.. i dont download movies or anything like that... i go cinema or use my netflix.. on 2nd thoughts why dont they do a netflix style thing for music.. you pay a monthly fee and listen to a massive libary of music to stream or download....

• I personally am regularly "stolen from".. im a tattoo artist and have drawn a number of flash sheets/designs... and when i started i copyrighted everything and sold ... but it didnt stop anything so now Im under the impression of if people want my drawing all they have to do is ask me and they are welcome to use what ever they wish...

I didnt start drawing to get rich... i started because i loved drawing and i loved showing people my art... I think 99% of musicians feel the same...

** also as somebody above stated... a friend of mine is in the music business... drum and base etc.... and he for years went mental at people illegally downloading his stuff... that is untill i pointed out and asked him how me made his music... with illegally downloaded software... lol

and ill be honest me personally... i use a downloaded copy of photoshop... untill they release a personal licence that doesnt cost a bomb ill continue to use one.... iv downloaded music illegally before... if i like what i hear i purchase if i dont iv not lost anything and its deleted.. i dont download movies or anything like that... i go cinema or use my netflix.. on 2nd thoughts why dont they do a netflix style thing for music.. you pay a monthly fee and listen to a massive libary of music to stream or download....

Children
No Data