Top 10 SF movie favourites

Hey.

What are your favourite SF movies ever?

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Moon. Directed by Duncan Jones, David Bowie's son

Blade Runner. The first one, that is, though I enjoyed the 2049 too. 

Brooding, noir. The book if anything is even better.

Logan' Run  Yes I know, an oldie. But it sticks in the mind. Time is short.

.........and never more so than with Never Let me Go. An idyllic boarding school is where the spare-part clones grow up 

Space Odyssey 2001. Yes I know computers evelved way beyond this stage

The Time Machine. Very innovative shooting for the, erm,  time. 

Alien. Despite all the prequels and sequels, this is still the absolute best

Quatermass and the Pit. Good and spooky.

Solaris The second one. How not to make first contact.

Ex Machina. Here, the CEO who plays Feletto really an absolute jerk, all said and done.

Agree or not? What are your favourites?

• I always have plenty of time for a good vampire flick

• I liked Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence including the other films you mentioned with Bowie acting in also the song the man who sold the world wich is whizzing around my brain now. 

• The novel (The man who fell to Earth) is actually better than the movie, as is "The Martian" in my opinion. I also loved 2 other movies starting Bowie - Labryinth and The Hunger (also a good novel)

• Indeed my moniker is a nod to Blade runner, great minds and all that. 

Nice set of flicks. I need to find time to watch all of Twelve Monkeys, wasn't able to see it to the end last time. 

The Man who Fell to Earth is an intriguing movie - and story too. Bowie conveyed a very convincing sense of alienation.

• Good user name -a nod to Blade runner?

1 Men in Black

2 Independence Day

3 Back to the future

4 Star Wars (original trilogy)

5 the 5th element

6 12 Monkeys

7 Alien

8 Blade runner

9 Moon

10 The man who fell to Earth

I also love Ghostbusters, although not strictly sci-fi

• The Star Trek one with the whales is duty a great reminder that it is not necessarily all about us. As in we humans. Dolphins certainly have bigger brains than we do....

• I have Alien and Aliens on DVD. Look forward to watching them one day soon. Because it's so famous I feel as though I've seen Alien already though.

I thought Logan's Run was great fun especially the part where they met the old man and his cats.

Oh, and that Star Trek film with the whales was a hoot too.

• Definitely. China Mieville is a Londoner who knows whereof he speaks. He wrote a prose booklet about austerity London on 2010, when things were already getting worse. 

• Tale of two cities, that inhabit the samecspace and learn from an early age not to 'see' parts of the other city - or be punished. 

Great concept

This is actually a good observation on the way we live in society today. 

Though the punishment is exclusion, the exclusion leads to being taken advantage of and suffering the cruelty of others because none cares. 

• And while we are on the subject....

I got a television series DVD of a book I really like, The City and the City!

1. For those who don't know, this is a tale of two cities, except that they inhabit the same space and learn from an early age not to 'see' parts of the other city - or be punished. 

Great concept!

• Aliens is good all right. I liked the original  Alien for the Giger effects, that helped make it so claustrophobic and gothic (I saw an Giger exhibition a few years ago. Sublime and stomach turning in equal measures. He designed the alien).

I never found a copy of Aliens, though I did find Alien 3 in a charity shop once. For some reason it was more upsetting to imagine one of those critters hurting and killing a dog than it was bursting out of a human chest. By the time Ripley becomes a cloned hybrid of alien and her own good stuff it was starting to get a bit silly I think. I do have Prometheus.

• It looks good! I really want to see them both now but won't be able to until New year as I've spent out on Christmas :/

• It's brilliant - it's set many years after the original and a terraforming team have landed on LV-426 but The Company has lost contact with them.

Meanwhile, Ripley has been floating around the galaxy in hyper-sleep.  

Her escape ship is found and she is not believed - but gets asked to go to LV-426 with a bunch of marines on a rescue mission - and chaos ensues!

Here's the Honest Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16BhJOQiZG0

• Was it good? I've never seen Aliens before.

• I like Aliens / Alien 2 - I thought that was actually better than the original.

• Sequels rarely are IMO. Aliens was well rated, the more recent sequels and prequels were still worth watching, but nothing compares to the original Alien

• I see. 

Not sure I have any anime sci fi faves. 

• I know right! It's just such a really good film and story. I didn't bother with the second one either and I think there's a third one but didn't bother with that as well. I don't think either will even come close to being as good as the first Slight smile

• Me too - I love the way the story progresses.   I've never seen Back to the Future 2 - it always seemed so dark and miserable.

• I like most sci-fi films to be honest but I think my fave one is probably Back To The Future. The first time I saw it I knew then that it would be one of those films that I would watch over and over again and indeed it did.

Other sci-fi films I like are Star Trek, Men In Black, The Matrix and The Martian and Star Wars films Slight smile