Inappropriate Social Greetings!

Does anyone else struggle sometimes to do ‘appropriate’ greetings? You know, as the social skills textbook instructs, especially when hugely distracted by something else? Usually I can manage it, but this morning I may have managed to diversify!

I happened to need to pop to the Scout shop this morning to buy some badges for my Beavers. After I got out of my car I realised that there was what looked like a dead hedgehog by the side of the car park. So I had to stop for a few minutes to investigate whether a) it was actually a hedgehog, and b) it was actually dead. So after establishing those facts, I walked into the shop and rather than doing the textbook greeting, I just said “there’s a dead hedgehog in the car park!” Luckily they were fine with it, they even asked what group scarf it was wearing Rofl BUT this really isn’t the appropriate way for me to greet people who I haven’t seen for a few months!!

Parents
  • Oh I don’t know-it’s more interesting than hello? I know what you mean though. Around here the appropriate greeting is hello, how ya doing. I still can’t compute the fact that this isn’t a question you should answer...

• I find the question ones the worst, too. Even now, if I'm flummoxed, which I often am when I just enter a different environment, I'll go for one of my classic literal descriptions; "How are you mate?" - "Very sweaty", "A bit damp", "My undies have ridden up my bum crack", or such like.

The ones where you can answer by just repeating the question aren't too bad these days. But when I first moved up to West Yorkshire, I encountered my nemesis; "Wass'tha noorthen?" It took my softie-Southerner brain long enough to work out that this meant "What do you know, then?". And after that - Aaargh! Know about what? Do I just pick a favourite trivia subject? Is there something I'm supposed to know?

Just to throw a spanner in the works, it's sometimes extended to "Wass'tha noorthen, owt o' nowt?" (What do you know, then, anything or nothing?) You would think that the binary options would be easier, but no, it's just a red herring.

• My dad's stock greeting is "What d'ya know?" and over the years I've railed against it with things like "Pi is approximately 3.141" and "A light year is the distance that light travels in a year" and so on. To which he replies "Ahhhh......".

• I'm going to have to try to find a clip of this :-)

• Ah bless him! It seems as though your dad has long since resigned himself to things always being the way they are! It's a shame that you can't make direct contact with him more easily. Though I have heard of this issue with some mobile phones, one of my sister-in-laws can neither send or receive text messages, so we use facebook messenger instead. Is your dad able to use WhatsApp?

No worries! I never specified that this one was a light hearted thread. I was just aware of my own social inappropriateness by way of a random 'greeting' and thought that I'd share it on here as I was sure that others on here may have experienced similar.

Don't worry about the delayed response, the forum is loading really slowly for me at the moment!

• No he's still the same! Sometimes I feel sorry for my dad, other times incredibly frustrated with him and let down too. I'm sure he's undiagnosed ASD, he's had family and occasional friends taking the ****ss out of him for decades, been abused(as in taken for a ride) by people he trusts without question, and has been constantly "babied" by my mother (which is a whole 'nother story). So now I see him as pretty resigned to life continuing in the same vein; he just accepts that people will fail to understand or react with mild amusement / frustration and he doesn't care. He *says* he's happy though, and he's always believed that everything is everyone else's fault, so perhaps he's OK. My frustration is that I don't get to communicate with him without going through my mother, who I would rather not communicate with as often as she wants. His damned phone for some reason doesn't register my texts, so I have to call or ask mum via text to ask him something.

Sorry that was a bit deep for a light-hearted thread!

I don't know whether it's me or the forum software but I'm missing lots of replies at the moment - only saw this one 5 days later!

• No he's still the same! Sometimes I feel sorry for my dad, other times incredibly frustrated with him and let down too. I'm sure he's undiagnosed ASD, he's had family and occasional friends taking the ****ss out of him for decades, been abused(as in taken for a ride) by people he trusts without question, and has been constantly "babied" by my mother (which is a whole 'nother story). So now I see him as pretty resigned to life continuing in the same vein; he just accepts that people will fail to understand or react with mild amusement / frustration and he doesn't care. He *says* he's happy though, and he's always believed that everything is everyone else's fault, so perhaps he's OK. My frustration is that I don't get to communicate with him without going through my mother, who I would rather not communicate with as often as she wants. His damned phone for some reason doesn't register my texts, so I have to call or ask mum via text to ask him something.

Sorry that was a bit deep for a light-hearted thread!

I don't know whether it's me or the forum software but I'm missing lots of replies at the moment - only saw this one 5 days later!

Children
  • Ah bless him! It seems as though your dad has long since resigned himself to things always being the way they are! It's a shame that you can't make direct contact with him more easily. Though I have heard of this issue with some mobile phones, one of my sister-in-laws can neither send or receive text messages, so we use facebook messenger instead. Is your dad able to use WhatsApp?

No worries! I never specified that this one was a light hearted thread. I was just aware of my own social inappropriateness by way of a random 'greeting' and thought that I'd share it on here as I was sure that others on here may have experienced similar.

Don't worry about the delayed response, the forum is loading really slowly for me at the moment!