Disability or not

With reference to the Twitter storm over Chris Packham's comments 

here    My assessment report said there have to be impairments in social communication, social imagination and social interaction

for an appropriate diagnosis to be made. Is impairment synonymous with disability though?

Parents
  • In the eyes of general society autism is classed as a disability. For example, if you're a HE student simply being autistic makes you eligible to apply for the disabled students' allowances. 

I take the view that I am not disabled by having the autistic neurotype as there isn't anything I'm unable to do. The predominant neurotype (neurotypicals) do disable me though in the way they design society and their lack of inclusive practice. For example, I was unable to work with my team as they're in a huge open-plan office of around 40 staff and this caused me sensory overload, therefore, I had to have the RA of my own office. I would have been able to work in a smaller officer if the team's environment had been designed with diversity in mind.

Society's view that all autistic people are disabled does sadden me but having worked in disability support for many years I do understand that hardly anyone knows exactly what it means to be autistic. 

• In the eyes of general society autism is classed as a disability. For example, if you're a HE student simply being autistic makes you eligible to apply for the disabled students' allowances. 

I take the view that I am not disabled by having the autistic neurotype as there isn't anything I'm unable to do. The predominant neurotype (neurotypicals) do disable me though in the way they design society and their lack of inclusive practice. For example, I was unable to work with my team as they're in a huge open-plan office of around 40 staff and this caused me sensory overload, therefore, I had to have the RA of my own office. I would have been able to work in a smaller officer if the team's environment had been designed with diversity in mind.

Society's view that all autistic people are disabled does sadden me but having worked in disability support for many years I do understand that hardly anyone knows exactly what it means to be autistic. 

Children
No Data