why do people come and go?

I sometimes use the "search" function to look up some questions I have to see if someone in the past has already ask similar questions. And when I look at past posts, like posts that were 6 years old, the people who were actively replying to posts back then (e.g., having many posts/replies and top contributor), pretty much all of them are not actively posting now. Actually, it doesn't even have to be that long, a lot of people who were active 3 years ago are not active now. So I'm curious, what causes people to leave? Is it because they got what they needed (e.g., originally needing advice on how to get a diagnosis and then they got one)? Or is it because they get bored of having to answer the same questions over and over for so long? Or is it because they had some bad experience here? Or is it because they later got a negative diagnosis and felt they don't belong? Or is it because they got too busy in life (e.g., work, family, friends, and other demands)? Or is it because they realised that they like the forum too much that they are spending too much time on it and should take a break? Or is it because they found a different ASD group (e.g., more local, more focused)? Or because they moved to a different country?

Do you think you will still be on this forum 5 years later?

Parents
  • I initially came here for support following my diagnosis - the forums have helped and I am truly thankful for the advice and support of the members, but I also realised that a number of topics can be bleak (no criticism to anyone as I have contributed my fair share to this) and there are times I just can't process this on top of other stuff I have going on in my life - it could make things worse for me.  So I come here when I feel I can, sometimes I contribute, sometimes I just read.

Reply Children
No Data