Improving self care

Inspired by another thread :-) After spending a very long time thinking that I’m quite good at self care (because I do always eat clean and ensure that I get enough sleep) and assuming that I didn’t need to make any changes to my habits to improve my self care, on reflection I concede that I was wrong. There are many things that I could and should change in order to improve my self care. For example: I drink far too much coffee and not enough water; I don’t really exercise (difficult to fit it in going to the gym with my youngest being only 2 but I figure that I can walk/find exercises that I can do at home); I don’t plan my week out past the basics  and I feel that my life would run a lot more smoothly if I micro-managed my life a lot more. So, I am going to read and research self care and make changes to my life that enable me to take care of myself to a better degree. I shall use this thread as a ‘blog of sorts’ to post useful resources that I find; write any tips that I perceive may help others and generally report on my progress. I would like to invite others to join me. To share their own resources/tips on self care; to come on their own ‘improve self care’ journey with me or even just to participate in discussion on this thread. 

Parents
  • Sounds like a really good idea. I've been guilty of this over the last 12 months for obvious reasons but normally I'm pretty good organised etc.

I do batch cooking when working to make life easier on long days.

I get up earlier than necessary on work days so that I don't have to rush and panic.

I clean the house on a certain day.

I go to bed early on 'school' nights.

I walk the dogs every day even if I'm on a real downer, it usually lifts my mood and its exercise.

• Sounds like a really good idea. I've been guilty of this over the last 12 months for obvious reasons but normally I'm pretty good organised etc.

I do batch cooking when working to make life easier on long days.

I get up earlier than necessary on work days so that I don't have to rush and panic.

I clean the house on a certain day.

I go to bed early on 'school' nights.

I walk the dogs every day even if I'm on a real downer, it usually lifts my mood and its exercise.

Children
  • Thank you for your input. I do some of these but the more ideas I can get from other people and resources the better. I bought a children's reward chart this morning and turned it into a weekly planner. I was going to type one out and laminate it but I thought why do that when I can get a pretty wipe clean planner from sainsburys? I already plan my paperwork/admin out each week but feel I would benefit from being a bit tighter on the organisation and planning front! I got a magazine on being mindful and leading a calm life too which I shall peruse when I have a moment. I really do need to learn to be calm because it's not something that I'm very good at, I'm  far too good at being very busy!

My brain in just so busy today, in a good way. There are so many questions that I want to know the answer to; so many new avenues I can see opening in my life; so many new ways of understanding things that are starting to take shape in my brain. I feeling in a self development growth spurt kind of mood!