Escape to the garden

Hi Folks,

It's a lovely day and I've been living too much "in my head" these past couple of days.  So i'm going to step back and head out into the garden for a bit. 

The herbs are recovering from winter, the bluebells are coming through and I still have a few late daffodils.  There's a clump of ferns I use for a kind of meditation (a bit like tratak but feeling for a flow between myself and nature) and, although they're only just starting to unfurl, I may well do that.

i also just noticed that last month's Gardeners' World mag is starting a new series about "growing yourself healthy" - i.e. using it to reduce stress, sleep better, increase happiness, maintain an active mind and promote a health gut.  That seems like a tall order but I do genuinely find that gardening takes me to another place in my mind where I can relax and focus on nurturing my immediate environment.  Which I think is a useful start.

Apart from my "horticultural therapy" i'm hoping the cat will join me and provide a bit of pet therapy too.  Pizza and wine therapy might come later.  :)  

Anyone else?

Parents
  • More gardening today.  There's a small animal run in my garden that was used by the previous owner for her guinea pigs.  Well, now this little squared off part is overgrown and the fence around it nearly falling down.  Making do with it until next year when i'm hoping to get all the old wood and a couple of self seeded buddleia taken away, but for this year I'm planting insect friendly plants and making a little "nature corner".   I know it's not exactly natural cos of my interference, but I'm planting annual wildflowers and moving in biennials such as foxgloves and vipers bugloss from elsewhere.  Also adding in some nasturtiums for caterpillars.  

Will this be my best year yet for attracting butterflies?   

• More gardening today.  There's a small animal run in my garden that was used by the previous owner for her guinea pigs.  Well, now this little squared off part is overgrown and the fence around it nearly falling down.  Making do with it until next year when i'm hoping to get all the old wood and a couple of self seeded buddleia taken away, but for this year I'm planting insect friendly plants and making a little "nature corner".   I know it's not exactly natural cos of my interference, but I'm planting annual wildflowers and moving in biennials such as foxgloves and vipers bugloss from elsewhere.  Also adding in some nasturtiums for caterpillars.  

Will this be my best year yet for attracting butterflies?   

Children