So I went to a Quaker meeting.

Well, I didn’t actually physically go to a meeting.  The Quakers in England run an online meeting you can go attend.

Theology has always been an interest and their values broadly correspond with mine.  How you interpret those values is up to you. I sat in my bedroom, cup of camomile tea in hand and just sat quietly for twenty minutes just breathing and being still.  Some people spoke or typed suggestions/thoughts.

I felt a little uncomfortable with the words “worship” at the beginning, but you don’t have to use or like those words.  It’s a very broad Church.

How did I find it? Well, it was an really interesting experience.  It felt similiar to when I tried mediating. I would go to another online meeting again. Perhaps one day a I will go to a physical meeting.

Is anyone else a Quaker? Been to their meetings etc

Parents
  • I read this from Quaker faith and practice and thought, that’s refreshing: 

I ask for daily bread, but not for wealth, lest I forget the poor.
    I ask for strength, but not for power, lest I despise the meek.
    I ask for wisdom, but not for learning, lest I scorn the simple.
    I ask for a clean name, but not for fame, lest I contemn the lowly.
    I ask for peace of mind, but not for idle hours, lest I fail to hearken to the call of duty.

Inazo Nitobe, 1909

• I read this from Quaker faith and practice and thought, that’s refreshing: 

I ask for daily bread, but not for wealth, lest I forget the poor.
    I ask for strength, but not for power, lest I despise the meek.
    I ask for wisdom, but not for learning, lest I scorn the simple.
    I ask for a clean name, but not for fame, lest I contemn the lowly.
    I ask for peace of mind, but not for idle hours, lest I fail to hearken to the call of duty.

Inazo Nitobe, 1909

Children
  • They have some interesting publications.  I imagine a lot might be all be on-line now.  IIRC there was QFP and one other "main" one but I can't recall the title of the other one.  I remember there was some survey, probably back in the 80s I guess, where they were asking Quakers something along the lines of "what books do you feel are central to your religious beliefs?"  From what I can recall there was some "controversy" about how low down on the list the bible was :-).