What book are you reading now?

I decided that I needed a new book to read and managed to find one on my bookshelf that I’d only half read so thought I’d finish it off: Tower, An epic History of the Tower of London by Nigel Jones. I just wondered what everyone else is reading at the moment? What does everyone else like to read?

• The latter sounds interesting. Does it have pictures?

• Reading a book called 'The dominant animal' which is a book of short stories that seem to make no sense to me... 

And reading a book called 'Ravens in winter' which is written by Bernd Heinrich. It's about his observations of Ravens, mainly i winter. 

• I haven't. Thankyou for sharing it. Any favourite books on the subject? Killing Rage by Eamon Collins takes some beating for me.  I'm not sure i'm quite there yet. haha

• I'm also interested in the Troubles! Have you seen the Magnum's extensive photojournalism on The Troubles? Here's part of it https://www.magnumphotos.com/newsroom/northern-ireland-troubles-capturing-the-conflict/ . I love how Magnum puts words and pictures together.

• Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela and also the Arms Crisis of 1970 by Michael Heney. The latter is about a specific event in Irish history. The Troubles have been one my special interests since i was a teenager. God knows why!  But i am now 38 and have read innumerable books on the subject.

• I am currently reading books by a guy called Anthony Cummins who is an English author and Japanese mid evil warfare historian and also a world leading authority in ninja history and warfare and he's the founder of the ninjutsu research team...!!

I am currently reading a book known as in search of the ninja by him

The book of ninja

The secret traditions of the shinobi

The Iga and koga ninja Scrolls

• I am currently reading Monty Don's book about his dog Nigel, who sadly passed away recently.

• Thanks so much! I've almost finished the Hemingway but unfortunately nowhere near finishing the thesis. :( I haven't even started. I hope to get started soon if my brain will allow me to let go of said crises. I hope you are well!

• I love it but only the first ten seasons.  Not to go all Comic book guy on you! hehe

• Im reading a Horrible science book

• That sounds really interesting actually. How are you finding it?

At the moment I have a few books. War and peace, history of witch craft (it basically tells you about the superstitions and trials of the time, a 1940s book which the name's escaped me, the story is about a man who buys a farm

• It is set in Alaska in the '70s, but it is mainly about a thirteen years old girl, Leni, and her dysfunctional family. Her father has problems going back to a normal life after having been to Vietnam and he drags his wife and daughter to Alaska hoping for a new beginning. I really like it so far. 

• I am currently reading The Women in the Window by A. J. Finn. Have you tried creating a goodreads account and getting the app? Not only do you get recommendations etc but you can keep up to date on what you have read each year etc.

I have a goodreads account: AmyLR94 if you want to add me and have a browse through some books I have read :) you can also add/follow people on goodreads too. Som authors have accounts too. I hope this help, if you wanna talk just drop me a message :) x

• I loved the stories he did for kids, when I was a kid. I have shown my students the short movies made about his stories, Parson's Pleasure for example, Tales of the Unexpected. 

• That's about Alaska isn't it? Very gritty by the sound of it

• That certainly a lot of reading. When you see the IS imploding, books on the Holocaust will always matter. I never read Hemingway, but I certainly read about him. 

Hope your thesis reading will continue up to speed despite whatever crises are still ongoing for you

• The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

• I'm reading a book called The Time of my Life by Patrick Swayze and his wife. Very interesting to read about them both, he seemed like such a decent and nice man.

• Slaughterhouse-five by Kurt Vonnegut? Based on the Dresden fire-bombing of civilians and churches, probably the most famous war atrocity conducted by the Allies in the second war world.

• I needed this thread. Currently reading Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, for my undergraduate dissertation on the representation of war in literature, especially the representation of sidelined voices. Other books I'm studying for this dissertation are McEwan's Atonement and Viet Thanh Nguyen's The Sympathizer. I love Nguyen and am about to read his other works. I was going to include a fourth novel called The Chosen Ones by Steve Sem-Sandberg, on the systematic euthanasia of autistic and mentally ill German children by the N*zis in WWII but my supervisor said that's too many. But I want to read it anyway. I'd be enjoying reading far more if it wasn't tainted by the stress of deadlines.

Outside of that project I've just finished all the Gilead novels by Marilynne Robinson. She has a new addition out this September called Jack. Any other Robinson fans? Also finished The Stature of Waiting by W H Vanstone, which probably salvaged any remnant of hope I had left in hanging on to this miserable life. I was also halfway through Love's Endeavour, Love's Expense by Vanstone but had no heart to finish it after a disaster happened in my personal life.