Favourite Castles, Abbeys, Priories, and Friaries

Inspired by an off-the-cuff remark I made in another thread, I thought I would actually start this thread off.

Please share your favourite castle (or Mediaeval Abbey, Friary, or Priory), if possible with a picture and saying a little bit about it.

I will kick off with Corfe Castle.  A picturesque ruin in Dorset (belonging to the National Trust),  and as a bonus can be reached by steam train from Swanage with one of the finest 'railway views' in Britain!  A good view from the castle as well

Parents
  • Caerphilly Castle in South Wales, about eight miles north of Cardiff is reputed to be the second largest Castle in Europe (after Windsor), although that includes its defences, moats and lakes.

Before 1950 it looked so much different, the lake had been drained and there were buildings standing nearly up to the castle  (the castle is in the centre of town despite what it looks like on the picture).  Lord Bute paid for the restoration work and reflooding of the lake and it is now one of the finest castles anywhere in Britain.  And it is huge!

• I’ve actually visited Caerphilly castle a few times in the noughties. I have to say it’s a pretty impressive monster of a castle, it has so many towers! And if I remember correctly one of the towers was leaning rather precariously!

• I’ve actually visited Caerphilly castle a few times in the noughties. I have to say it’s a pretty impressive monster of a castle, it has so many towers! And if I remember correctly one of the towers was leaning rather precariously!

Children
  • Yes, the tower on the right of the picture was blasted by Oliver in the sleighting of the castle following the civil war and leans at a greater angle than that of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  You can just about see that it's leaning in the picture.