Near Troll posts

I don't want to embarrass the perpetrators of the posts by name, there have been more than one, but at times their appear troll like posts on these forums.

Perhaps it is inadvertant, but asking for advice and then showing little respect for the replies that are made in good faith, name calling using unacceptable language, putting across a belief that one has and then insisting this belief is irrefutable despite what others have said and with no evidence, or criticising others for valid views seems to me the sort of thing a troll would do. 

I don't know whether it is a 'road from Damascus' moment (the 'from' is deliberate as it seems to be that the eyes have been closed and not opened) but there has also been what appears to be a personality change at times.  We are autistic, but this does not mean we cannot work things out and with proper respect views can be contrary to those of others.  And sometimes there are members here with particular knowledge which is useful to others.  But posting information to further a theory of doubtful basis is not what I believe this forum is for, and one should expect others to put the alternative view.

I know I wind people up at times, hopefully not too many times on this forum.  But I do try to think about what I am saying, give information in good faith, accept other peoples contributions with good humour, and not spout rubbish. 

But there does seem at times to be people here with nothing to add to a conversation but spout nonsense.

Parents
  • Hi, hope you’re having a good evening? The thing I’ve noticed lately is a few posts trying to recruit people for research purposes, I thought they had to contact the moderators rather than post directly onto the forums? Not sure that that’s troll like though, more just not playing by the rules. What sort of posts do you mean?  I certainly hope that I didn’t appear troll like when I was ‘throwing my toys out of the pram’ the other week regarding my dual diagnosis. I certainly didn’t mean to cause offence, I was just in a really bad head space that day. 

• No, you didn't, not how I mean it to mean.

It is posts that hi-jack another post with drivel.  Or, with nothing to say, have to go off and say things that are not remotely connected to the initial post just to put over a load of tosh.  Posts being made that contribute nothing to the conversation that have no logic, rhyme nor reason, and seem to be only to satisfy the ego of the poster.  It is not the off-topic nature of the posts but more the nature of the off topic post.

If the person wanted to start a post of their own spouting their ideas, that would be acceptable.  But what happens is another, quite interesting, thread can be hijacked in such a way that the original purpose is lost and the thread then gets bogged down with the off-topic matter.

I should have called the post 'pseudo Trolling' if I had thought of it sooner.  Perhaps I should just have started a post for people to spout rubbish, to release other posts from this burden.

• No, you didn't, not how I mean it to mean.

It is posts that hi-jack another post with drivel.  Or, with nothing to say, have to go off and say things that are not remotely connected to the initial post just to put over a load of tosh.  Posts being made that contribute nothing to the conversation that have no logic, rhyme nor reason, and seem to be only to satisfy the ego of the poster.  It is not the off-topic nature of the posts but more the nature of the off topic post.

If the person wanted to start a post of their own spouting their ideas, that would be acceptable.  But what happens is another, quite interesting, thread can be hijacked in such a way that the original purpose is lost and the thread then gets bogged down with the off-topic matter.

I should have called the post 'pseudo Trolling' if I had thought of it sooner.  Perhaps I should just have started a post for people to spout rubbish, to release other posts from this burden.

Children
  • It sounds like you feel annoyed maybe, about certain posts not meeting your need for order? 

I hear what you’re saying, but have you heard that saying about one man’s rubbish is another man’s gold? Or something like that. What I’m trying to say, is what you might think of as ‘off topic’ or not adding anything to the conversation, might be right on topic, from where they’re sitting and they might think and they might actually be, adding a lot to the conversation. Just not in your eyes. 

And as for all that business about hijacking threads, that just makes me feel like I’m in nt land, because I don’t know the etiquettes, if that’s what they’re called. I have no idea when talking on a thread would be considered something I ‘shouldn't’ do, according to these unspoken rules that I don’t know about. 

All that kind of business, quite frankly, does shut me up lol! hallaylooya ~ we’ve found something to shut her up Laughing 

• As I said I was having a bad day!

I do think there is a tendency on these forums, perhaps unsurprisingly, for people to go off on tangents half way through a post. There’s been a few posts which have started off on one topic but by the end of the thread people are discussing something completely different. I can understand that that might be a bit annoying, especially if you were enjoying the initial conversation topic but at the same time its probably fair to say that most of us on here have a tendency to go off on a tangent from time to time.

There have also been occasions where a post topic  that been started, is also a topic that one particular user feels very strongly about so they feel the need to interject and put across their point of view. I guess if someone feels that strongly about a topic then it is understandable, though if they are stating their opinion very strongly it may irritate those who have a different viewpoint.

Im not sure that I’ve correctly interpreted what was bothering you? 

• I apologise Trainspotter, as we have now gone off on a complete tangent on your thread. However, it was done out of concern for Blueray’s wellfare (I fear, from previous threads this week, that she may have been feeling a bit belittled and unvalued), not with any intention to annoy or irritate yourself. Unfortunately, I can’t find a means to send her a private message on here otherwise I would do that rather than gate crash your thread.