Musical instruments

I am learning both the Guitar and Violin.  I started with the Guitar first and play the chords with a pick. More recently I started to read music and learn the guitar fingerstyle.

In the past two weeks I have started to learn the Violin. However, I have to wear ear plugs because of it is so loud and starts sensory problems.

Does anyone else do something similar?

Parents
  • I've got a whole bunch of synths. I can't play with any real skill, but I know what to do technically to make music, piece-meal using a sequencer to enter all the data slowly or one note at a time in step-mode.

I look at it that the end result is all that matters - so being a highly skilled musician would just make me comparable to a CD player.

I buy & sell synths on Ebay because I enjoy the novelty of owning them but I get fed up with rubbish operating systems and limited sounds because of compromises in the synth engine.

I've got a Korg X3 - it has a great, powerful sound but the operating system is completely impenetrable. Like having everything you've ever created on a computer accessible only via a 4-line LCD. Useless.

Roland synths are easier to use but their sound is too clean & clinically weedy.

I think I might have another clear-out.

• everything you've ever created on a computer accessible only via a 4-line LCD

"Painting the hallway through the letter box" is the metaphor I always remember from the music technology magazines I used to read!

Limited as it was, I still miss my old Korg MS10 analogue monosynth; it was just so wonderfully interactive - every single variable on a control of its own and no annoying steps between quantised MIDI values. Mind you, I'm not sure I could live with old-style patch memories any more - lots of sheets of paper with drawings of knob positions and patch leads, and no matter how carefully drawn, there were always some humdinger sounds that you could never quite get the same twice!

• everything you've ever created on a computer accessible only via a 4-line LCD

"Painting the hallway through the letter box" is the metaphor I always remember from the music technology magazines I used to read!

Limited as it was, I still miss my old Korg MS10 analogue monosynth; it was just so wonderfully interactive - every single variable on a control of its own and no annoying steps between quantised MIDI values. Mind you, I'm not sure I could live with old-style patch memories any more - lots of sheets of paper with drawings of knob positions and patch leads, and no matter how carefully drawn, there were always some humdinger sounds that you could never quite get the same twice!

Children
No Data