Musical instruments

I am learning both the Guitar and Violin.  I started with the Guitar first and play the chords with a pick. More recently I started to read music and learn the guitar fingerstyle.

In the past two weeks I have started to learn the Violin. However, I have to wear ear plugs because of it is so loud and starts sensory problems.

Does anyone else do something similar?

Parents
  • Making music is my number-one thing to do as an escape from the outside world. Bass guitar is my main instrument for nearly 30 years now, but at various times I've also played; trombone in the school band, drums, ukelele, jaw harp, and a smattering of keyboard (strictly right hand only!) I used to play in several bands, but gave up after I couldn't handle the social part of gigging, but I would feel utterly lost and restless without some musical instruments around me.

My hyper-sensitivity to sound, I deal with using ear-plugs when I need to; much as I like the occasional gig, many are way to loud for me to cope with otherwise, as were gigs and band-practices back in the day. I now play electric instruments almost exclusively, and on headphones so that I don't annoy the neighbours, so it's much less of a problem now.

As far are learning goes, I always say to people; you don't "use" or "work" a musical instrument, you "play" it. I think too many people get hung up on trying to learn favourite pieces or playing like their favourite artists. But the real escape from worldly worries come from playing what comes from inside. Even if you only know three chords or the scale of a single key, it's perfectly possible to express yourself and have a great time by just messing around and seeing what serendipity brings. As the famous, and rather eccentric, music produced Joe Meek said; "If if sounds right, it is right."

• Making music is my number-one thing to do as an escape from the outside world. Bass guitar is my main instrument for nearly 30 years now, but at various times I've also played; trombone in the school band, drums, ukelele, jaw harp, and a smattering of keyboard (strictly right hand only!) I used to play in several bands, but gave up after I couldn't handle the social part of gigging, but I would feel utterly lost and restless without some musical instruments around me.

My hyper-sensitivity to sound, I deal with using ear-plugs when I need to; much as I like the occasional gig, many are way to loud for me to cope with otherwise, as were gigs and band-practices back in the day. I now play electric instruments almost exclusively, and on headphones so that I don't annoy the neighbours, so it's much less of a problem now.

As far are learning goes, I always say to people; you don't "use" or "work" a musical instrument, you "play" it. I think too many people get hung up on trying to learn favourite pieces or playing like their favourite artists. But the real escape from worldly worries come from playing what comes from inside. Even if you only know three chords or the scale of a single key, it's perfectly possible to express yourself and have a great time by just messing around and seeing what serendipity brings. As the famous, and rather eccentric, music produced Joe Meek said; "If if sounds right, it is right."

Children
  • I think too many people get hung up on trying to learn favourite pieces or playing like their favourite artists. But the real escape from worldly worries come from playing what comes from inside. Even if you only know three chords or the scale of a single key, it's perfectly possible to express yourself and have a great time by just messing around and seeing what serendipity brings. As the famous, and rather eccentric, music produced Joe Meek said; "If if sounds right, it is right."

I coudn't agree more with this.  Too many times people's enjoyment for something is stifled by being told they aren't very good at it.

Do things from the heart!