Machines and engines

I've always loved machines and engines. 

I like a bit of nostalgia too. 

Here's a 1962 Twin Tub in action - I spent many happy hours in the company of a machine just like this as a child! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvs1aJ7ES60

Have you got a favourite machine or engine? 

• If so, please share it! 
Parents
  • I love machines and engines as well!

By this I mostly mean cars… Does that count? I guess they are kind of a machine. I like how there are so many different cars and how different each one is, and how much they have changed.

My favourite car – machine – ever was my dad’s 1992 Vauxhall Senator. It had a really unique and powerful engine, a 3.0i litre 24 valve engine which allowed it to do more than 150mph. It was a really smooth engine and was really silent when it went along, I even helped my dad restore it to its former glory in 2015 – sadly, in 2016 when going across a junction a lady ran a red light and wrote it off when she collided with it. Such a shame as it was a really nice car. Ever since I have struggled to travel in cars, I can’t get used to travelling in anything other than the Senator.

We now own a 1992 Jaguar XJR 4.0 litre – the car in my profile picture – it’s the Senators replacement, it’s a lovely car, fast and luxurious and as we live on private land believe it or not it’s the first car I ever drove. I was so proud when I drove it, even though I only did 7mph up our driveway ha ha.
     It’s engine is very big and whistles like the wind. My own car, a Volvo 850 SE 2.5 litre engine is quite small really and isn’t nearly as loud as the Jaguar’s or quiet as the Senators… But I love it all the same.

Other machines and engines I love is the RMS Titanic! This was my favourite topic at school. I’ve read about it hundreds of times and watched the movie loads and loads, especially the parts where the ship is sinking. I find it and its mechanics so fascinating.

• I have two mkI Volvo v70’s, five cylinder one being 2.0 ten valve and the other 2.4 twenty valve. Smooth, powerful for non turbo. Lovely sound as you push the throttle enthusiastically Lol. 

Reply Children
  • You’re quite lucky then, from what my dad’s said and what I’ve read online Volvo’s of the older era are very reliable. The one I own is the Mk1 of the 850 series and it’s only the SE, so the basic model. It has a sunroof but it’s got a handle to open and close it with, and the rear windows have winder handles on them. So it doesn’t have many fancy features, no air con either.

I’m very lucky that my dad has given me his car. He owns a far less powerful Kia Carens (2005) and this would have been ideal for me to drive in, but, it’s a manual and for some reason I am really bad when it comes to driving manuals. I just can’t seem to get my hand round the gears and clutch control!