Children

Reading a reply to a post in another part of the forum got me thinking about kids etc.  More specifically, how, myself having been an undiagnosed aspie has always been able to communicate with children - regardless of age or developmental level.

My thoughts on this is that it is, quite possibly, down to the way that I, as an aspie, tend to interpret things very literally and, by the same token, children - especially those aged between 3 and 8 (ish) tend to be very literal creatures.

Discus.... 

Parents
  • I’ve worked with children since my early teens and I’ve often found them easier to communicate with than adults (especially the younger ones) in terms of their levels of literalness and directness. I suppose that also with my own emotional immaturity I am able to relate to them on that level too. I certainly feel a deep sense of care towards any children that are ‘different’ or appear as I did when I was their age (incredibly shy, not fitting in with others etc.), as I suppose I want to protect them from any suffering similar to what I experienced as a child, and they usually do take a shine to me.

The only side of dealing with children I’ve particularly struggled with is imaginary games and ‘fun’ games, the latter mostly because they are activities that caused me great anxiety as a child myself...structured work with children is definitely more my thing!

• I’ve worked with children since my early teens and I’ve often found them easier to communicate with than adults (especially the younger ones) in terms of their levels of literalness and directness. I suppose that also with my own emotional immaturity I am able to relate to them on that level too. I certainly feel a deep sense of care towards any children that are ‘different’ or appear as I did when I was their age (incredibly shy, not fitting in with others etc.), as I suppose I want to protect them from any suffering similar to what I experienced as a child, and they usually do take a shine to me.

The only side of dealing with children I’ve particularly struggled with is imaginary games and ‘fun’ games, the latter mostly because they are activities that caused me great anxiety as a child myself...structured work with children is definitely more my thing!

Children
  • The only side of dealing with children I’ve particularly struggled with is imaginary games

I'm with you there completely.  At home, with my own 2 daughters, I'm kinda lucky.  They are both very intelligent girls and close enough in age (4½ years apart) that they can still play their "imaginary" games together without too much in the way of argument.

I generally get called upon to join in the more energetic pursuits (today it was nerf wars, for example), or their favourite game - use Daddy as a climbing frame... lol

With s number of the other kids in the area I'm simply "the dad that fixes things" - skateboards, roller skates, bicycles, scooters etc