Jazz Hands

Did you see the news story last week about the students union that wanted to ban clapping because it might cause distress to sensitive souls like myself. It was the cause of much hilarity on various topical comedy shows. But I thought it was a thoughtful and well-meaning attempt to be a bit more inclusive and maybe a hopeful sign for the future.

Parents
  • Apparently it wasn’t a ban, just a request. 

It is indeed well meaning. Unfortunately we live on a planet that ridicules anything well meaning. 

• It's an interesting debate. I have Dupuytren Disease in both hands so avoid extensive or heavy handed clapping these days - sometimes I just mime.

I read an article in which a speaker said how much she liked jazz hands and seeing the audience silently waving agreement with some of her points.

Jazz hands are much better given my hearing loss - noisy applause over the top of someone speaking often limits my ability to hear. 

Graduation ceremonies were the worst for clapping - my hands would tingle by the end if I joined in, which I felt I had to if I was sitting on the stage. 

Overall I think I'm in favour of whatever lets most people participate comfortably. 

• It's an interesting debate. I have Dupuytren Disease in both hands so avoid extensive or heavy handed clapping these days - sometimes I just mime.

I read an article in which a speaker said how much she liked jazz hands and seeing the audience silently waving agreement with some of her points.

Jazz hands are much better given my hearing loss - noisy applause over the top of someone speaking often limits my ability to hear. 

Graduation ceremonies were the worst for clapping - my hands would tingle by the end if I joined in, which I felt I had to if I was sitting on the stage. 

Overall I think I'm in favour of whatever lets most people participate comfortably. 

Children
No Data