'When did you first realise that you were 'different'?'

The second post from my blog about growing up with undiagnosed autism...

A Martian in the Closet

Parents
  • I don't recall feeling particularly different at nursery school.  I'd say it was in infants school I started feeling I was different.

That teacher sounds like the type who can profess belief in "the one true way."  Probably if they changed the curriculum the next year that 3s were curly instead of flat-topped and their was a child who was taught to do flat-topped 3s by their older sibling, they'd then be subjected to the same pointless humiliation.

My experience with "one true wayers" is if they don't appear to have the mental flexibility to consider alternatives then they just aren't worth your time.

• In infant school,,,I was kept back as my birthday was September, everyone I had joined with went up to the next school.

I only remember being aloud to sit under a table on my own, I did get a companion when I very sad crying boy was bought in by his mum, the teacher asked me if he could sit with me under the table. I said yes ok.

No memories of being included in anything, I do remember being at the other end of the class, creating pictures drawing around shapes, no free hand lines as they were wobbly and not accurate for my liking.

I remember vivid colours and smells that I still remember, 

• In infant school,,,I was kept back as my birthday was September, everyone I had joined with went up to the next school.

I only remember being aloud to sit under a table on my own, I did get a companion when I very sad crying boy was bought in by his mum, the teacher asked me if he could sit with me under the table. I said yes ok.

No memories of being included in anything, I do remember being at the other end of the class, creating pictures drawing around shapes, no free hand lines as they were wobbly and not accurate for my liking.

I remember vivid colours and smells that I still remember, 

Children
  • Often shouted at by teachers, humiliated, the kind ones just left me to my own devices, I spent a lot of time with the caretaker, cleaning out animal cages, delivering crates of quart pint bottles of milk to each class.

cannot remember being taught anything, vivid dreams, excelled at physical abilities, best climber, dirty child, mud was no problem for me, covered in scrapes and bruises,,,,