Nightmares & insomnia

I suffer from the dual evil of nightmares and insomnia and need help.

For example, today I woke at 4am from a nightmare and I cannot fall asleep (insomnia).  I am also afraid to go back to sleep because in the past I have had nightmares following nightmares when I fall asleep after a short break.

With inadequate sleep I get up tired.  With nightmarish sleep I get up tired.

I don't have sleeping tablets at home as a precaution.  Because in my recent past I've attempted suicide by overdosing with tablets.

So I sit in bed.  Either reading , worrying or on the internet.

Any Help or advice is much appreciated!

Parents
  • I had a bad nightmare last night. I was in some sort of post-apocalypse, run-down hotel and there was a pair of eerie similar looking but non-identical twin children (I'd put them about age 8-10) there with me, a boy and a girl. I remember feeling that there was something inherently eerie and wrong about these children, but they were alone and claimed to be frightened by something and were determined to stay very close to me as the only adult in the way that children do when they are scared.
    We hid in a room in the hotel, and I started talking to them about a variety of things to distract us all, including my family. That was when I noticed it; whenever I talked about someone I knew who was dead, their eyes would completely black over; no iris, no sclera, just black. (Blacked out eyes= one of my major scare factors. Creeps me out horribly.)
    I started to experiment with the conversation to make sure I had the pattern right, and I could feel that they were starting to get a bit suspicious of me, dropping the lost-child-act, a bit more hostile.
    So I decided to bite the bullet and confronted them. I asked them "Why is it that whenever I talk about someone who is dead, that your eyes go black?" and as I asked it their eyes went black and then the twins looked straight at me in a really hostile way (I could feel the anger coming off them) and their eyes changed again into a horrible glistening off-white, like the whole thing was the white of the eye and it had gone slightly rotten. They then suddenly lurched closer to me in robotic fashion, right up to my face.

Woke up at that point in a panic. Cue a long cuddle with the cat and a good dose of youtube. Still took a while to get back to sleep. *shudders*

Hoping for a quieter night tonight. :( 

• Hi Emma your nightmare certainly sounds very vivid,, lots of detail, 

I would not dare trying to analyse your dream for you, although it has something to do with death and sadness to accept it, hence the anger and disconnect from the twins, Maybe a film or something you watched once?

and it helps to talk these things through as the dream becomes a shared experience and they had better watch out as we can now be included in your dream and sort them out for you.

that said  I hope you sleep better . Take care.

• Hi Emma your nightmare certainly sounds very vivid,, lots of detail, 

I would not dare trying to analyse your dream for you, although it has something to do with death and sadness to accept it, hence the anger and disconnect from the twins, Maybe a film or something you watched once?

and it helps to talk these things through as the dream becomes a shared experience and they had better watch out as we can now be included in your dream and sort them out for you.

that said  I hope you sleep better . Take care.

Children
No Data