Nightmares & insomnia

I suffer from the dual evil of nightmares and insomnia and need help.

For example, today I woke at 4am from a nightmare and I cannot fall asleep (insomnia).  I am also afraid to go back to sleep because in the past I have had nightmares following nightmares when I fall asleep after a short break.

With inadequate sleep I get up tired.  With nightmarish sleep I get up tired.

I don't have sleeping tablets at home as a precaution.  Because in my recent past I've attempted suicide by overdosing with tablets.

So I sit in bed.  Either reading , worrying or on the internet.

Any Help or advice is much appreciated!

Parents
  • I Robert

What do you call nightmares? What goes on in your dreams that you don't like?

I suffer from having hyper-real dreams that don't delete themselves when I wake so I'm living 2 or 3 seprerate lives through the night (I'm up a lot too).

I have the tv on very dimly and very quietly with some dull, gentle programmes on to bore me back to sleep.

I learned to embrace the dreams - to explore them and follow them as they pan out. Sometimes they end at a place where I wanted to go further, someimes they end at a point where I'm annoyed at something in the dream.

I can't call any of them 'nightmares', they're just interesting things my brain is creating when it's not doing anything useful.

Are you able to just let your nightmares run to completion?

• My nightmares do not run to completion.  I wake.  Then after falling back to sleep. A new nightmare starts or a different version of the previous one.

• Your dreams seem to be based around the feelings of helplessness and frustration - they don't sound like nightmares, more just your brain dealing with everyday stuff.

I have a lot like that but I treat them as sight-seeing expeditions to measure how much detail my brain is prepared to create when I look around the edges and corners.

I have lots of abstract dreams - a recurring one is buying an old house with a barn in rural France (I've never been there) where I have to fully inspect the property, even up a ladder in the roof of the barn inspecting the timbers and assessing how much work to fix it all up. I can smell and taste the dust and the damp. I sometimes get to visit the village and take part in some celebrations (like a village fete).

Sometimes I'm working on an old ship - where I'm down in the rusty bilges working with the other guys as we run the ship.

Sometimes I'm walking around railway lines - maybe 8 parallel tracks, dead straight, dead level for as far as can be seen - I'm doing something 'important' but have to watch out for passing trains.

What would happen in your dreams if you left the chickens alone?

• Your dreams seem to be based around the feelings of helplessness and frustration - they don't sound like nightmares, more just your brain dealing with everyday stuff.

I have a lot like that but I treat them as sight-seeing expeditions to measure how much detail my brain is prepared to create when I look around the edges and corners.

I have lots of abstract dreams - a recurring one is buying an old house with a barn in rural France (I've never been there) where I have to fully inspect the property, even up a ladder in the roof of the barn inspecting the timbers and assessing how much work to fix it all up. I can smell and taste the dust and the damp. I sometimes get to visit the village and take part in some celebrations (like a village fete).

Sometimes I'm working on an old ship - where I'm down in the rusty bilges working with the other guys as we run the ship.

Sometimes I'm walking around railway lines - maybe 8 parallel tracks, dead straight, dead level for as far as can be seen - I'm doing something 'important' but have to watch out for passing trains.

What would happen in your dreams if you left the chickens alone?

Children
No Data